Firestone Rim off of a model T Ambulance - Anyone Make them?

blauvelt

I would take some close measurements of the location and angle of that ring around the inside, the largest dimension of the hole in the rim, the angle or ramp on your wedges. From the LOOK of the rim in your picture, later model T rims with the lugs chopped off might work.

I learned of the existence of these when trying to figure out what the rims are on my 13 Studebaker. As it turns out mine are Stanweld, not Firestone, but both were offered as aftermarket demountable Rims for model T Ford.

You should also post on the MTFCA forum if you haven't already.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Those do indeed look like Firestones. And as such a aftermarket fitment to a Ford T. Part of the Ambulance conversion ? They are probably quite rare today. If you want to use normal Model T rims you will probably have to change the fellow bands . Firestone fellow bands aren't going to work with anything but Firestone and possibly a few of the 

universal series rims of the day{ Not universal rim co. products but rather rims marketed as universal replacements } . All are rare today. I will look in my rim catalog and see if they are listed for any other vehicles other than Model T.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

11 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Those do indeed look like Firestones. And as such a aftermarket fitment to a Ford T. Part of the Ambulance conversion ? They are probably quite rare today. If you want to use normal Model T rims you will probably have to change the fellow bands . Firestone fellow bands aren't going to work with anything but Firestone and possibly a few of the 

universal series rims of the day{ Not universal rim co. products but rather rims marketed as universal replacements } . All are rare today. I will look in my rim catalog and see if they are listed for any other vehicles other than Model T.

Greg

thanks Greg, are there any shops that can make new rims? Or has anyone had any luck cleaning the bead edge up by welding? I have 4 good wheels and 5 rims, the rims are in rough shape.

67C69902-4D3A-4611-BA47-D0D118629757.jpeg

I am not aware of anyone making new ones. Normal clincher rims are definitely available but they won't work with your fellow bands. Have you found a Firestone stamping on either the rim or fellow band ?

It would be nice to know with 100% sureness they actually are Firestone. Although that is the most likely make there were other rims on the market at the time, such as Stanweld as Bloo has suggested.

I looked in my 1930 rim catalog but by that time only the factory fitted rims are listed. I have an older rim catalog but I will have to do some digging to find it.

Those two opposed wedges on the inside of Firestone rims are not practical to form with light duty rim forming dies.  Firestone must have used extremely heavy duty tooling when rolling the rims at their factory.

Perhaps even rolling the rim blanks red hot. A lot of metal must be shifted to form a Firestone rim. I suspect that's why they are seldom if ever re- produced.

Greg in Canada

• Thanks 1

Hi Layden, that sounds a bit tricky but with care should be possible. I can see a mental image of what you are suggesting.  On a light vehicle like a " T " less than 360 degrees of support between the rim and the fellow band should be sufficient .

As I am picturing it each wedge section might be 3 or 4  inches long ? 

Biggest challenge seems to me the insuring that the inner wedged surface is concentric with new rim and equal thickness with all the other wedge sections.. Each wedge section will need careful grinding to remove exactly the thickness that was

the old rim section. And then careful welding possibly using a fellow band and the clamps to position everything prior to tack welding. 

A small amount of runout can probably be tolerated on a vehicle with a relatively slow road speed like a Model T .

Great suggestion to solve  a thorny problem !

Greg

2 hours ago, Layden B said:

Actually the new reproduction plain 30x3 1/2 rims will work!  You will need to weld to the ID 5 wedge sections to support the rim on the felloe band and for the lugs to clamp to. Email me if you need more instruction.

1991521002_001emailaddress.jpg.77fe6b0d32d1d7c451250a885cd6985d.jpg

thank you Layden, will do.

• 3 years later...

Hello I am just discovering  this post I beleave I have 5- 2 pc made by Firestone I beleave for the Ford model T I am told , I have thousands  of rims n wheel best to visit to pick out what you need collecting the vintage wheels n parts are my hobby unfortunately  I have limited time to organize , what I am trying to do is save as much of the early automobile  parts from 1900 to 1942 and I have some up to the 1970s thank you Vincentcassidy1@gmail.com  cell 978-758-0834

• Like 1