1969 GTO engine dies when put into reverse

Holley-Equipped

On 4/7/2020 at 4:10 PM, Holley-Equipped said:

I was wondering if anyone would know a reason why my GTO's engine dies when I shift into reverse. It has a 428 and an automatic transmission.

Check the engine room wiring harness, in particular the harness to the distributor &  ballast resister. If you have HEI make sure connections are OK. Also have someone help you to observe the engine at Idle or fast Idle shifting from drive to neutral to reverse to make sure your engine mounts are good and not pulling the harness.  

14 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Check the engine room wiring harness, in particular the harness to the distributor &  ballast resister. If you have HEI make sure connections are OK. Also have someone help you to observe the engine at Idle or fast Idle shifting from drive to neutral to reverse to make sure your engine mounts are good and not pulling the harness.  

Seen that many times. The engine twists right up in its mount and shorts out or disconnects enough to shut it down. Open your hood, shift into drive, hold the brake with your left foot, and give it gas. You should be able to see your air cleaner and if if moves much. Then check reverse the same way. If it dies immediately, before giving it any gas, then you need to look at your linkage as suggested. 

Let's go back to basics here.  We really need more information on exactly when this happens.  I'm going to assume that you drove the car into the garage and just cranked it a day or so later.  Put it into reverse and it stalls.  If this is the case, your idle speed and choke settings are at to low of a speed.  If it happens every time you shift into reverse, then go back over the comments above.

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)