windshield washer history?

bhemi

Well, I can tell you that it was offered before 1945 because there are little ducts to squirt water out on the windshield wiper towers on my '41 and I know that they offered a dash "switch" (actually a vacuum valve) that activated a "Trico" style glass jar washer with vacuum pump.  Since that style of tower goes back to I think '36 or '37, maybe it started being offered back then.  I'm sure someone around here knows the answer.

What year were the glass jar ones used? Where they the predecessor to the bladders/ bags? Last night, i was taking the inner fender off of a 1958 Edsel that I'm working on for someone, and it had the glass jar reservoir and bracket on the driver's side, but when i look it up, Edsel's used the jar, and similar yr Ford's were using a bag.

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)

As near as i can tell. From 1945 (or earlier) to 1958 Buicks used a square bracket and a round jar. The lid changed over time but had a fill hole and a vent hole and an output hole for the hose to the pump In 1959 and 160 they used the triangular bottle. After that I am guessing plastic? All were built by Trico. I really like the glass bottle and I know they reproduce the '59 - '60 Trico cap/bottle/bracket