1932 Studebaker 55 Pickup

So, I acquired this just before the lock down in the UK.

If anyone has details of the pick up bed, photos or description as that is now missing I would appreciate it.

Otherwise I have a rather long list of parts which I don't know where to get them from.

Thanks,
Steve

Northampton, England.

image1.jpeg

Image6.jpeg

2020-02-29 13.56.20.jpg

IMG_20200324_075535.jpg

Looks to me like a sedan that was cut down,  though they did a pretty good job.  Being it most likely is it has the Car sheetmetal which makes it much more stylish.  That being said I think you could fabricate a bed to your likings that flows with the lines of the car.

Looks like a cool project that is quite a bit of the ways there. 

I have a 47 Hudson Big Boy so mine is just a factory version of the same idea. 

Looks almost like the Franklin truck I started with. It was a 7 pass sedan that the body was damaged and removed. I wanted a body that would resemble a period service truck. I borrowed the look from a Model A Ford deluxe pickup that only 300 were made. I now have the chrome rails and ball topped posts for the top of the box. The truck has a overdrive unit from a Packard  installed behind the original 3 speed transmission.  She will run very comfortable 65 on the interstate highways where its safe to do so. The red model a ford was in Rochester its whole life and was the model for this Franklin box. The truck gets plenty of attention.

33 franklin truck.jpg

1933 franklin pickup 010.jpg

1933 truck in steel.jpg

1933 frank trk 5.jpg

1933 frank trk2.jpg

1933 franklin truck Oct 26 2016.jpg

1931 deluxe ford.png

1931 model a deluxe.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did manage to hold of Gary and he sent me a few photos 🙂

Unfortunately the truck is now missing a few items - radiator to wing struts, hood centre strip, cowl trim, door catches, rear lights, rear bumper and the pickup bed.

If anyone owns a 1932 Model 55 and can take pictures and dimensions for me I can try to fabricate the items. Of course if you have any spare parts laying around I would be interested!

Thanks

GW_1760.jpg

GW_1759.jpg

GW32_stude_recyclery.jpg

17 hours ago, Devilbuick41 said:

If anyone owns a 1932 Model 55 and can take pictures and dimensions for me I can try to fabricate the items. Of course if you have any spare parts laying around I would be interested!

Measurements could also be taken from the '32 Rockne Model 75. The larger Rockne model was simply a re-badged  Studebaker 55.

• 7 months later...

My 1928-40 Chassis Parts Catalog shows the front springs for a Model 55 with your serial number as part number 175048 with 8 leaves and a leather cover.  The rear spring is listed as 175049 for a sedan, with 7 leaves, other numbers for coupe, roadsters, and convertibles, plus a "heavy duty" version with 9 leaves.  The catalog doesn't show leaf lengths or spring arch, so you need to email Andy Beckman at the Studebaker National Museum to get copies of the blueprints for those parts for a reasonable fee.  Eaton-Detroit Spring may also have the dimensions, but shipping springs from the U.S. to UK would be expensive.  Greg Diffen (near Warwick, UK) sometimes ships parts from the U.S. to UK via a guy who sells Model T Ford parts and brings a container to the UK once in a while.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...