Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 9/14/2023 at 6:48 AM, twin6 said:

York, PA.jpg

Non-standard bodywork without a doubt. But it is the fender construction that has raised my curiosity. They almost look like the type of very early fender that is leather over a wire metal frame. But I don't think these are quite like that either. I am not really sure what sort of construction we are seeing here. Anyone out there have a suggestion  ?

16 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

IMG_2205.jpeg

What a great picture! It shows, better than almost any I have seen, the importance and prestige and pleasure associated with the automobile during the Great Depression. Here is a shiny, upscale model car, proudly shown in front of a home that desperately needs a coat of paint and might need some roof work. Behind the home is a dry prairie background, with an old tractor that doesn’t appear to be getting much use.

I’m probably reading too much into the picture, but I am just in the process of reading David M Kennedy’s book “Freedom from Fear, a History of the American People during the Depression and WW II”. I’m humbled, learning what our parents, grand parents, etc. had to go through to survive and thrive in those times.

Perhaps that’s why - although I love to see the top of the line classics that were so avidly collected in the 1950s and 1960s - I find it more thrilling to see examples of the cars that most people, including my dad and granddad drove during the Great Depression.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pmhowe said:

What a great picture! It shows, better than almost any I have seen, the importance and prestige and pleasure associated with the automobile during the Great Depression. Here is a shiny, upscale model car, proudly shown in front of a home that desperately needs a coat of paint and might need some roof work. Behind the home is a dry prairie background, with an old tractor that doesn’t appear to be getting much use.

I’m probably reading too much into the picture, but I am just in the process of reading David M Kennedy’s book “Freedom from Fear, a History of the American People during the Depression and WW II”. I’m humbled, learning what our parents, grand parents, etc. had to go through to survive and thrive in those times.

Might have been a rich uncle stopping by for a visit.

Craig

• Haha 2