Is this a vent hose?

kmx888

Working underneath my new to me 58 Buick. What is this little tube coming out of the top of the transmission?tube?

Is it a transmission vent? If so does it just vent where it is or does another hose need to be attached?

Kevin

IMG-1119 (1).jpg

Transmissioni vent.jpg

Hello Kevin,

Welcome to '58 Buick ownership and these Forums!

I can't say for sure that it is a vent but all my Buick's have the tube and no other hose connection to it so...

IMG_4094.thumb.JPG.2f842e1fe64341ea17b452362b78ef30.JPG

Guess I should look in the Chassis manual and see if it explains the function. (not my specialty)

Yours looks like it is spewing some fluid and might need some internal attention.

Is your car on the road?

Doug

Thanks boys! That's what it looked but seemed odd. Yes my Buick is on the road. I am removing 60 years worth of grease, grime  and lord knows what else underneath the car.

Previous owner did a nice job with the body, interior, engine and hopefully the transmission. It had some pretty good drips showing but I think quite a bit of it was ATF coming from a leaking low pressure power steering hose, dripping down the endine and blowing back onto everything. I have a small leak from the front seal of the differential. 

I've spend several days underneath it and hope that I am done at least for now. I'm not as young as I used to be. I have restored many cars over my lifetime but I am doing my very best not to fix things that aren't broken or only minor issues. Usually when I start on a new car by the time I come to it is in pieces on the floor. I just want to drive this one and the hell with perfection

• Like 1

I am sure you are right. I am inching further and further from home till I get it sorted. When I turn on the left turn signal

both rear lights flash. Shouldn't be too hard to track down but don't want to get too far until then. 

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

Look for a bad ground on one of the rear lights..

The rear bulbs have two filaments. I have also seen where the turn/brake filament bends over and energizes the tail filament and lights up the other tail. . . . .

But checking and cleaning the bulbs and sockets fixes all. 

• Like 2

I bought it from my lifelong best friend. He was probably a third or fourth owner. 

It was built in CA and I think stayed it's life there. These is a surprising amount of 

rust underneath. Not Minnesota salt rust but rusted bolts, trunk floor wiith small holes etc. 

Guess 60 years will do it. Could have been near a beach as well

38902157_2160263950963879_4067470596387110912_n.jpg

60237623_2023462237762838_5327730497726447616_n.jpg

• Like 1

Yes mine is a Super. I fooled around for a couple of minutes today and there is power to both the L and the R turn signal bulbs when the left is on. I have a wired diagram and will just have to start at the beginning and work my way to the end. I noticed that there were several flashers in the other "spares/junk" that came with the car. I will have to figure out that part of the circuit and see where it goes. Thankfully the only chips in the car are in my picnic basket.

• Haha 1