automotive life back then.  In contrast, an automotive

magazine might tell the ownership of the company, its

car models and their statistics;  but a general-interest magazine

will give broader glimpses of life with the automobile.  As an

AACA regional editor, I reprinted such historical insights that

may be totally forgotten today.

A few examples:

---A woman driving a car around 1909 told her experiences in learning,

and recommended only the smaller-horsepower cars for women.

She revealed that the first radiator "mascots" were personalized,

may have been for luck against breakdowns, and could be home-made.  

---An old ad referred to a car's rear wheels as the "hind wheels,"

hind being a term not usually heard today in regard to wheels.

---A fascinating article from the 1880's gave the 30-year history of

oil development and described the then-current boom in Pennsylvania.

It told of fracking with nitroglycerin and how the nitroglycerin man and

his wagon might hit a bump and be suddenly obliterated without a trace.

And even then, people were afraid of running out of oil!

History is vast.  Much is forgotten and remains to be rediscovered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Ken Purdy’s articles were the only reason I read Playboy.......😂😂😂

When I was pre-driving age, I was visiting my uncle who happened to have the latest issue of Playboy on the end table in his living room.  I picked it up and thumbed through the August, 1967 issue of Playboy and immediately saw an article by Ken Purdy with an awesome photo-essay of cars that I had never seen excellent color pictures of before, Bizzarinni 5300 Strada GT, Lamborghini Muira, etc., to name a couple.   I asked my uncle it I could have it when he was done with it, and he said I could, but it was 'conditional' with my mom.  In the end, she did allow me to have it.  Of course, at the time, I cut out the pictures and glued them on cardboard and disappeared over the years.  Fortunately for me, I was at a garage sale a good 30 years ago, where the seller had a stack of late 1960's Playboy magazines for sale, and was able to find that August, 1967 issue, which I still have complete.  I didn't cut it up this time! :P

Craig

I was about 15 in 1967 when I was looking through a Playboy magazine and saw an ad about the new MGB and Triumph Spitfire "roadsters" from British-Leyland. The cars had roll up side windows, so I decided to write the company a letter. I explained that "roadsters" had no roll up windows, but had side curtains.  Therefore, the cars were actually "convertibles". I went on to explain other differences. That was it. I had said my thoughts and went on my merry way. A few days later, I received a letter from the president of the British-Leyland thanking me for my letter. He went on to give Webster's definition of a roadster and told me that I was correct in some ways. WOW! The president of the company. COOL! I still have that letter.

• Like 2

Great early print Bob. Somewhere out there is an original piece of artwork the print was made from.  Playboy certainly wasn't first to have a centerfold!

Terry

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Ken Purdy lived about four miles down the road from me, can't take that drive without thinking of him in his MERCER or  Bugatti, or a car he was testing for a review. Bob 

For those who don’t know or remember.......very sad ending for Mr. Purdy......https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Purdy

On 2/21/2020 at 2:13 PM, 8E45E said:

It was sad, but as I recall reading, he was slowly dying from a chronic illness, which was giving him an intense amount of constant pain.

Craig

True, He would stop by the shop once a month it seamed, had the first V12 Jaguar I ever saw, he was driving before he did a Playboy story on it. At the time of his passing he had a Type 44 Bugatti, a chain gang Frasier Nash and a Morgan three wheeler. Drove past his place today, still can't brake the habit of looking down the driveway. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 6:09 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

I have found that old magazines in the mainstream

occasionally have articles that give good glimpses of

automotive life back then.  

That is exactly why I liked reading about 'Gus' in "The Model Garage' in Popular Science magazine.

Craig