Frame/chassis identification.

54Coupe

Good morning. We have a chassis that we believe to be a mid or late twenties Chrysler product. It has four wheel hydraulic brakes (lockheed) that are external contracting. I am trying to identify it so I can offer it up to someone who may be able to use it. Knowing the year would make that a lot easier. Are there serial numbers stamped on these frames anywhere that will help me ID this chassis? I am in southern California. If there is a local expert around here, I'd be happy to show it to them. I'm a Hudson guy and although I'm very familiar with them, I knowlege here.

Thank you,

Dany

If you post some pictures of the frame and axles it will help. Also if the wheels are there, how many lugs to hold the split rim, how many bolts thru the hub. Diameter of wheels and brake drums will help. Does the rear axle propshaft drive flange  have three prongs or a conventional round drive flange.

As Narve said is the front axle a tube type or I beam style. Viv 

OK the front axle is a tube. I will get the photos requested. I made an inquiry in the general section here before, but not in the Chrysler section. There were photos included in that post. If anyone wants to see them, I think you can click on my name and pull up the post from 2018 where I was looking for help  to identify a chassis. I will still get the requested photos, as the ones I posted then are no longer on my phone. Thanks again for the help and guidance.

I have looked at the older post with pictures, there is not much pointing towards Chrysler besides hydraulic brakes and tube front axle. No details do correspond with my Series 65 and 75 of 1929 vintage. If there is not any chassis number, most cast items on the chassis will still have a parts number cast into them which will make sense if checked towards a Chrysler Parts Manual. Illustrated is the rear axle marking, but I believe numbers of spring hangers would be the best way to make an ID. And why not check the the wheelbase, that would narrow down the choices a lot.

2104456652_CR140510chassisiprimar(1)nummerbakaksel.thumb.jpg.c94affa2f4f609cbe18bd496aee4ced9.jpg

Hi, I've been looking at previous posts and pictures of your frame.

The 4 cyl chrysler's model 58/50/52 series and the series 60/62/65  series frames are all 109" wheelbase, the model B70/G70/finer70 are 112" wheelbase. All of the affore mentioned models I know from personal experience are not the same as your frame.

The model 72 had a 120,5" wheelbase. All 80 series imperials were 120/127 and 133 in wheelbase. 

The imperials used a type 5 Buffalo wire wheel, not sure on the model 72.

Looking again at the pictures of your frame, the front X members and engine mountings are unlike most of Chrysler cars of that era. I don't have much knowledge of the imperials or model 72, so unless it is a model 72 or model 80, then I think it is not Chrysler at all. 

In George Damanns book "70 years of Chrysler," he mentions 1924 Chalmers as having a wheelbase of 122" on the 7 passenger cars, but I don't know if Chalmers also had these hydraulic brakes.

Viv

• 4 weeks later...