1939 Rolls Royce Wraith $33000 CDN

It better have a 100 point 100% rebuilt engine with new cylinder head and rebuilt transmission on a stand ready to go in for that money - which it says it has been rebuilt, but ....  

Nice cars, but even a single missing part is not fun, matched to all its whitworth hardware and ...

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

I have some experience with the Wraith. It was the last pre-war small HP car, essentially the final development of the 20 HP introduced in 1921 or 22 (I forget the exact year). A real problem is that just about the only German bomb to hit the RR plant during WWII demolished the storeroom where most of the remaining spares were kept. I once made an exhaust manifold for one because the chance of getting a usable original is just about impossible. I think Ed is spot on...if it needs and interior and paint even half that price is probably beyond any reasonable expectation...EVEN if the engine is "rebuilt" and I have my reservations about that. The engine is not overly complicated like a Phantom III (V12) but any RR engine requires an attention to detail that I think is lacking in 99% of the automotive machine shops.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

I have some experience with the Wraith. It was the last pre-war small HP car, essentially the final development of the 20 HP introduced in 1921 or 22 (I forget the exact year). A real problem is that just about the only German bomb to hit the RR plant during WWII demolished the storeroom where most of the remaining spares were kept. I once made an exhaust manifold for one because the chance of getting a usable original is just about impossible. I think Ed is spot on...if it needs and interior and paint even half that price is probably beyond any reasonable expectation...EVEN if the engine is "rebuilt" and I have my reservations about that. The engine is not overly complicated like a Phantom III (V12) but any RR engine requires an attention to detail that I think is lacking in 99% of the automotive machine shops.

Certain parts really are not all that hard to find and certain parts are near unobtainium - for the parts that can be found they are just VERY expensive and does take some solid phone and email time (and most people are not up to the challenge). 

Owner needs to loosely reassemble (engine is fine on stand), inventory all parts off car (there needs to be few off car) and tell what is missing - then provide 100 photos.  If seller is not willing or able to do such then best to move on or it had better not be your first rodeo. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)