Exhaust System for 1936 Desoto

wangwilko

Looking at getting someone to make a exhaust for my 36 Desoto.

Some offer Aluminized pipes or stainless.

Problem is that I do not have one to get another made by copying what I have.

Can any one recommend someone from a good experience.

I saw Waldons Exhaust on a website make them for about $325 it may be a generic for 36 vehicles, not sure.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Try martin johnson. mjexhaust@yahoo.com

231 723 5345.

Martin johnson vintage exhaust.

If he has the specs the price and shipping will be excellant and the parts will be perfect. I,ve used others and they can,t compare to M.J........bob

Being in Australia means shipping (and taxes) will be very expensive if you're importing parts from the USA.  Many exhaust shops in the USA have pipe bending instructions for virtually any car going back decades.  Have you spoken to a local exhaust shop in your area?  They may be able to find the correct 'bend card' and make your exhaust system locally.  If your DeSoto is RHD this may affect the shape of the pipes...might be something to think about.

Thanks for your time to reply 31plymouth and Bhigdog.

I may email martin and see what he can do.

I had read a few horror stories where you pay good money and expect something equal to what your paying and they were not any where near in quality

and you feel like you have just been ripped off again. 

Peter

Harold, I use a guy to import to Auz from a place I think it is called Munci.

Having exhaust bending instructions going back decades is a real plus for you guys.

Our guys I think could only make something if you had something as a template.

I will check on the RHS part, I think all they did when my car was imported is alter the steering wheel and pedals.

My speedo is on the LHS, so they did not bother even changing it around with the fuel, temp gauges.

I used to work in a muffler shop, a good man with a pipe bender doesn't need an instruction card. He can make an exhaust to fit while you wait. It might help if you had a picture of the exhaust system so he knows where it is supposed to go but if not, it isn't hard to figure out. The DeSoto is a very simple, single exhaust with one muffler, no resonator or anything special.

18 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I used to work in a muffler shop, a good man with a pipe bender doesn't need an instruction card. He can make an exhaust to fit while you wait. It might help if you had a picture of the exhaust system so he knows where it is supposed to go but if not, it isn't hard to figure out. The DeSoto is a very simple, single exhaust with one muffler, no resonator or anything special.

Rusty is right. Eyeballing the path and shape of a simple old exhaust system just isn't rocket science. I've seen muffler shop men whip out factory looking exhaust systems rapidly and effortlessly just because they didn't want to tie up their hoist waiting for one to be delivered from Napa.