64 Electra- Frank Sinatra Connection?

parkertom

This is not mine and I have no info other than what is posted below:

Facebook Marketplace has taken over Craigslist for where I look most often at car listings. This one popped up this morning. Interesting connection...interesting enough to justify price?

Seller's Description

This car was purchased brand new by Frank Sinatra himself . 1964 Buick Electra 225. 401 nailhead 3speed automatic  runs and drives. serious buyers only . 15.000 obo

64 electra1.jpg

64 electra2.jpg

64 electra3.jpg

64 electra4.jpg

• Like 1

Wow!  I used to work with a fellow named Sinatra.  And his father's name was Frank.  However no one would ever think the two Frank's were one and the same. With nothing else besides that registration I would be highly skeptical.   And for that car I'd suggest the decimal point in the price is placed two positions too far to the right. 

Provenance is always an interesting subject to me.  With authentication, it can add an air of mystique to a car.  For dead celebrities, it can be as close as one might come to them.  Or it can be meaningless, as is the case here.  1st, it's not Frank Sinatra's car, it belonged to his dad.  It's plausible that Frank bought his dad a car now and then, and I can see it being a Buick.   But it is not worth a premium of what? $14,000! 

As others have suggested, a person would need a lot more than an old registration or such to justify.  I would want photos, and some with Frank in them.   In the end, this is just a warn out old 4 door Electra, a great car restored or nice original to be sure.  But if purchased, one would need to restore it at a cost of $60,000 or so, hence it rests in quiet solace to memories for and of someone, but not me.

• Like 1

This car was on Craigs list in North Jersey a couple of months ago. This seller must be a flipper who dragged the car down to the D.C. area. The NJ ad had the registration without the address blanked out. Being a huge Sinatra fan, I googled the address, which was in Fort Lee, NJ. I found a picture of Frankie bringing Mia Farrow home to meet his parents. Sinatra's father's name was Martin. He died in 1968.

I don't have any doubt that Martin Sinatra, father of Frank, owned that car. That Buick looks like it had a very hard life after Dad's demise. Aside from idle curiousity, I don't see much value there.

• Thanks 1

A lot of people today wouldn't connect with the Sinatra name. Just yesterday I was waiting for my wife while she was checking out the groceries. The young woman who was manager was standing next to me when a drained looking old man with pigtails walked past us. I said "Was that Willie Nelson?" She said she didn't know who he was. I told her "The whole family grew up on TV. David, Ricky, and Willie. Willie stayed in his room a lot." She said she would Google it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1