Wanted ID on this STRAIGHT 8 camshaft

plk

The gear to drive the oil pump or/and distributor will mean the distributor is centrally placed either on the side or top of the motor. Also it has a lobe between number three and four cylinders to drive a gas pump and this pump will be fitted on the side of the motor in line between the 3rd and 4th cylinder from the front. Also the front of the cam has a very short area to bolt on a cam gear,  so more likely had a chain sprocket?

Does the front of the cam have a keyway or some sort of locating pegs to attach the cam gear or sprocket??

Hope this helps.

Pete,

Your picture showing the front of the cam has a bushing, with 2 cut aways that must line up to either pegs or bolt holes on the block. Also now that I see the bush is on the front of the cam, it does have enough room for a fibre gear to fit on the front and drive it, and there must be a keyway to drive it?

As this cam has a lobe for a gas pump, it is likely to be from the 30's to the 50's as I don't think gas pumps were used much before 1930.

Edinmass says not Pierce or Stud, Auburn and Cord used Lycoming motors and its definitely not Auburn or Cord. Been looking at images of lots of engine types, plenty have a centrally mounted distributor but I'm yet to see a motor with the gas pump mounted between number 3 and 4 cylinders.

So far can rule out Buick, Stearns knight, Hudson and Terraplane, Olds, Pontiac, Daimler, Mercedes, Alfa, DeSoto, Packard and Bugatti, Not sure about Reo, chrysler and Nash.

I also wonder if this cam might be for a twin cam V16?

Will keep looking as I'm now intrigued as to what this is for.

Viv 

• 4 weeks later...

The early Chrysler/Dodge engines (1930 DC8, CD8 etc going up to 1950's) had pistons varying from 2&7/8"-3.25" diameter but same general block length (about 30" head length), and the cams were just under 33" long (I just measured 2 spares I have). However, the Chrysler Imperials starting in 1931 had 3.5" pistons (adding about 2" of block length), so Imperial cams were likely in the 35" range for length. Don't have one to compare. Also had distributor in middle.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

On 2/23/2020 at 12:47 PM, Jack_Vines said:

I'll try to run it by my cam grinder; he sees more antique cams than most anyone in the country.  He may have some insight.

jack vines

Hello again, Jack. I remember corresponding with "Packard V8" on Garage Journal. Glad to see you are still around. 

• 1 year later...