1911 or earlier Automobile - Possibly a Thomas Portsmouth Fire Dept.

Steve Hagy

Hi!

This one is fairly early, I have information from 1911 that mentions this fire engine.  So, Engine Co. 2 in Portsmouth, Ohio had this snazzy fire engine that was built by Webb.  Thomas chassis were used by Webb often enough that I believe that this will be one.  As always I would like to know the make, a year, and a model.  As note note of interest. This fire engine hit the scrapper many years ago. however, someone decided that the beautiful eagle-topped bell should be preserved.  A friend of mine has the bell in his collection (lucky guy).

Take care,

Steve

Portsmouth Webb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Typically, electric headlights suggest 1912 or later so it this truck was around prior to that, the lights were probably an update.  Thus, the picture was likely taken 1913 or later.  Apart from the lights, the truck looks to be 1910 - 1912.

I would say Thomas. It looks remarkably similar to this 1910 Thomas, the first motorized fire engine in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The 1901 date in the newspaper article is not correct. 

498524440_Thomas1910FireEngine1.thumb.jpg.6eae2f59fc73fe801650b6399916f6b4.jpg

Don

• Like 2

They appear to be Fisk brand tires, an unsuccessful proprietary design that did not interchange with any other rim or tire. Usually the wheels were replaced with something that had Dunlop ( straight side tires as we use today) rims when the tires wore out! Very few sets have survived and almost none are on vehicles. The 12 "lugs" are actually bolts that hold the tires to the rim. Just inside of them are the lugs that hold the rim to the wheel. Here is a Fisk illustration showing an inflated tire on the rim, this demountable assembly would then be put on the wheel.

2096865438_fiskbolton.thumb.jpg.37fa3570e3960ee25760e1293e68cdb2.jpg