timing............Thanks for your input, timing set and running

over60

Hello, New to the forum.

I have replaced the timing chain and gears in a 1964 rambler 196 ci 6 cylinder and trying to reset the timing. I aligned the new timing gears and chain with marks on the gears and set at  TDC on piston 1 and check with piston 6 and it is at exhaust, (top stroke) with plugs out. Install plugs and when starting it will not start. In rotating the distributor until it will start, it run but bad. I have double checked and it all seams where it should be as to timing. 

Any suggestions.??????

Edited by over60 (see edit history)

Did you set the timing so the points were just starting to open when #1 was exactly at TDC?  Are you sure your timing marks are set correctly as per your shop manual?  Many vehicles had the timing marks at different places than what seems obvious.  Did you mark the gears and chain your self on the old ones before you removed them?.

When the # 1 piston is at top the two valves must be closed. On moving the crank right or left the  # 1 valves will rock one side or the other like wanting to overlap. Set the distributor points as Tinindian said " rotor pointing  to #1 wire on the cap.  The rest will follow like sheep.  If I am not mistaken that manufacturer used GM engines on their cars for a few years. Is the firing order 1,5 3,6, 2,4 ? If you do not have a manual, to check the firing order remove all the plugs and stuff the holes with paper.. Slowly rotate the engine and the paper will pop up one by one according to firing order. 

For clarification, when the #1 cylinder is on top dead center on OVERLAP,  and you can rotate the crank a little forward or back and feel one valve opening and the other closing, the rotor should point directly AWAY from the #1 plug wire, not toward it.

Stated another way, when the #1 cylinder is at top dead center on the COMPRESSION stroke, the valves will both be completely closed on #1 cylinder, and the OPPOSITE cylinder in the firing order will be on OVERLAP.

The opposite cylinder will be found halfway through the firing order.

For instance, on a car with a 1-5-3-6-2-4 firing order when #1 is FIRING, #6 is on OVERLAP.

Similarly when #6 is FIRING, #1 is on OVERLAP.

Another example: On a car with a firing order of 1-3-4-2, when #1 is firing, #4 is on OVERLAP.

This is for ignition only, and assumes the valve timing (timing chain or gears) is correct. Valve timing must be verified by the manual.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

19 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Did you set the timing so the points were just starting to open when #1 was exactly at TDC?  Are you sure your timing marks are set correctly as per your shop manual?  Many vehicles had the timing marks at different places than what seems obvious.  Did you mark the gears and chain your self on the old ones before you removed them?.

Thanks for your input. sadly i did not mark the old chain. 

You should really get a manual for that particular engine.  On some engines the camshaft drives the distributor  and at the same time the lower part of the shaft turns the oil pump. It is nice to hook up an oil gauge when cranking.