best source for WCFB carb screws?

jw1955buick

Go to RestorationSepcialties.com, their catalogue is on line.  Page 199 for what you need, though in stainless... 

For the right size and pitch, take one to an industrial hardware store. They can measure, and/or sell you the simple tools to measure.  It is worth having your own.

• Like 1

2AB4E1A9-DF7A-4471-90CC-501BDBB4F46A.thumb.jpeg.c118dda748b04bc89fab00a0c7bcddec.jpegI'll check there Fr. Buick

carbking, I bought the kit from CARs, looked at Bob's too and didn't see one with screws or I would've bought it, do you have a source for future information?

Also since you're here, what exactly holds the choke butterfly closed? the spring inside the climate control housing or some other?, looking at photos, my carb and the visible linkage looks like every other but I thought when properly set, the natural position for the choke was closed until heat opened it up, mine is open and snaps open when not closed by hand, maybe my climate spring wasn't ever engaged? or?

89CB4D79-6ECB-4C99-83A9-30B70AD8C64E.jpeg

Edited by jw1955buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Screws on Rochesters and Carters are typically 10-32 for top covers and some 8-32 inside. So, buy several nuts at the local hardware store to keep as try nuts to determine thread size and pitch. 6-32, 8-32, 10-32, 10-24, etc. Keep them in marked bags or some other way to know what they are. Now you can try screws in these nuts and see what size they are. Nut and bolt sizers are also available for sale, like the ones hanging at Lowes.

Now you can go to an industrial supply store, or since most local ones have closed, an online store like McMaster Carr, and get Fillister head or cheese head screws the right diameter, length and pitch for the job. I like stainless steel for this application also.

https://www.mcmaster.com/fillister-head-machine-screws

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, carbking said:

The choke spring closes the choke butterfly.

Heat, with vacuum, opens the choke butterfly.

Automatic chokes

Rebuilding kits with screws are available from that grumpy old hillbilly in Missouri.

Jon.

Jon,

You shouldn't be so hard on that "grumpy old hillbilly in Missouri.  Isn't he the guy on this forum whose handle whose handle is Carbking?  It shouldn't take too long for everyone here to learn that his kits are the best - nothing universal, every kit designed for a particular carb.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Or, one can go to Blacksmith Bolt Supply out in Washington state and get the good stuff.  They have Black Oxide finish fasteners and Nickel Plated Screws.  You need to be warned about these folks - they DO NOT have Hex bolts or those hated phillips headed screws.  My personal opinion about phillips headed screws is that the guy who came up with them should be taken down to the river and have his you-know-what's chopped off!!  McMaster-Carr is a very good source for the scarce and unusual types of fasteners.  I needed some 'cheese-head' screws once for a project and McMaster-Carr had them.  Merry Christmas Ed from all of us down Doo Dah Way!

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

Or, one can go to Blacksmith Bolt Supply out in Washington state and get the good stuff.  They have Black Oxide finish fasteners and Nickel Plated Screws.  You need to be warned about these folks - they DO NOT have Hex bolts or those hated phillips headed screws.  My personal opinion about phillips headed screws is that the guy who came up with them should be taken down to the river and have his you-know-what's chopped off!!  McMaster-Carr is a very good source for the scarce and unusual types of fasteners.  I needed some 'cheese-head' screws once for a project and McMaster-Carr had them.  Merry Christmas Ed from all of us down Doo Dah Way!

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Terry,

Don't be too hard on the guy that invented the Phillips Head screws. 

They have a very specific job in the auto industry & other industries also.  They are designed to have the screw driver/ tool "cam out" during assembly operations so when they get tight attaching items to sheet metal or plastic the tool comes out of the screw head.  .  This is meant to make sure that the screw is not over torqued and strips out the hole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2