Hood ornament restoration?

JimmyS

Anyone know a reputable person I could send this hood ornament to for restoration? I’ve tried getting a new one from Don Sommers with no luck, they have a smaller one and a bigger one and I don’t even know if they are still producing any new ones or just selling off what they have.

It’s for my 1932 Chrysler CI 6

376DC3D1-E71C-42A9-8EAF-FAF7AAA46895.jpeg

Here is where I go for the nitty gritty really detailed work (and you will loose some detail generally):  https://www.paulschrome.com/ or http://brightworkrestoration.com/about/ 

Each shop no matter who they are across the united States generally has its specialties. 

As to Don Sommers - if they have a larger ornament I would be tempted - at least for the gazelle and the reason is that they are stainless and you can adapt to fit the cap (and they are probably selling stock verses new - Don died recently and ...).  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Yours looks pretty good. You might be able to get a local non-ferrous foundry to make a mold and pour you a new one.

Just that the antlers are too short.

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

(and you will loose some detail generally

I Have seen Don Sommers display at Hershey and find his work  lacking the fine detail also.  I did use a fellow  Bill Scherer in Michigan that did beautiful work but has passed away. I now use Mike Butters 905-372-6926 who does very high quality detail work .  He will make you a new one or repair your old one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

I Have seen Don Sommers display at Hershey and find his work  lacking the fine detail also.  I did use a fellow  Bill Scherer in Michigan that did beautiful work but has passed away. I now use Mike Butters 905-372-6926 who does very high quality detail work .  He will make you a new one or repair your old one. 

Just called Mike, what a nice guy!  He is looking at photos I just sent him.  Thanks for this tip!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JimmyS said:

Just called Mike, what a nice guy!  He is looking at photos I just sent him.  Thanks for this tip!!!

Did not say before but yes he is down to earth and yes his work has been on cars at top shows around the world including Pebble Beach. But you will never hear him talking that way. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1