1924 engine ID

(S)

I went to look at helping out on some parts for a newer Studebaker and found a 1924 -26?  Chassis and fenders.  The only clues I saw were solid steel disc type wheels, the weird looking head on the engine,   (Aluminum ) a  Wagner starter  and the dash had just one round part with a key switch and 2 levers,  I'm thinking it is a 24   Dictator...  Or it  was 90 years ago I looked all around the engine block for an ID number and saw nothing. My book only goes back to 1929 anyway

ANy info would be  helpful- it is for sale but not much left.  The '41 was not expected so guess who had a great Studebaker day?  

pre war find 24  and 41 studes 002.jpg

pre war find 24  and 41 studes 003.jpg

pre war find 24  and 41 studes 004.jpg

No Dictators until the 1927 model year so likely a Light Six 1922-24. The Light Six became the Standard Six in Sept 1924 so also possible it's a 25-26 model ER.   Anyone who owns one (and there are quite a few around) could tell you right away. Some images from the 1922 Light 6 owners manual attached.

22 light 6 engine.jpg

22 lt six engine.jpg

Edited by studeq (see edit history)

If you find the engine serial number I can estimate the model year.  It is located on a pad just above the starter and will consist of two letters (EJ or EM) and followed by 6 numbers.

1122628695_EngineSerialNumber.thumb.JPG.d6640af268c4015e9efb4cbcfc7b77de.JPG

• Like 1

I'll get the number when I go back.  Thanks for that location picture.  I scraped and struggled looking all around the top  edge of the block looking and looking..........

I'd make an offer if someone actually needs it.  I'm too full  until I unload a 53K  and a 63GT I got with 6 Hawks and loads of Studebaker parts this Fall.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I finally made a deal on the old chassis.  The engine number says  EJ  70003   .

The engine is complete with trans,  diff, maybe 1 or 2 disc wheels, a few lug nuts,  front floor wood patterns, one side hood  and windshield,  a pair of nice doors...

ANy help to ID the thing would be most excellent.  Thanks.  

OK  Thank you.  I don't have the books and a search at the SDC engine  serial number site does not list it.   I should probably email them.

I'll make the   EJ  Light 6 parts available soon  if anyone is looking...  Thanks.