Fuel filter placement for 55’ 322

jw1955buick

This had a crappy plastic filter in between here, trying to make it proper, no pictures in the manual and little detail on here. 

Consider this a daily driver 

what’s the best way to finish this? I like the old glass bowl too but what’s the best place to put it? Before or after pump ?

pictures are worth 1000 words, want to get this running correctly, don’t care about show correctness, thanks 

078AEF2F-FADE-4551-BD7D-19CEBD44C619.jpeg

16 hours ago, jw1955buick said:

Thanks, what do you have on that '54 between the hard line from the tank to your pump?

I do not have any filter between the fuel pump and tank.   I have just the filter at the carb inlet.  It is not the pancake filter originally used.   Below is what I use as the pancake filter is hard to find. It is not correct but you got to use what is available.  It can not be seen under the air filter housing. 

lSAaZME.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

I do not have any filter between the fuel pump and tank.   I have just the filter at the carb inlet.  It is not the pancake filter originally used.   Below is what I use as the pancake filter is hard to find. It is not correct but you got to use what is available.  It can not be seen under the air filter housing. 

I have never seen that before, do you have a part number?

If you are looking to be correct, the line between the frame and pump was a braided steel cable to most likely help control pulsation below the pump. It would just be a rubber line between the two. The 54-56 Buicks I believe are all the same and are what avgwarhawk posted.

However, if you want a glass bowl setup look at the 57-59 configurations. I put a glass bowl on my daily 56 from a 58 and run rubber lines from the pump to it and then to the carb. It works really well and I can use a modern paper filter in the glass bowl housing. I prefer this over the pancake filter because its just a sintered brass mesh and its 50's filtration. With the 58 setup I get (allegedly) modern filtration with the paper filter and I can see just like a cheap filter when it starts to get gunked up, if ever. Some do not prefer them because they have hulk hands and break the glass somehow. I have had zero issues and while I was driving my Buick daily, I was putting almost 4000 miles on it a year.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beemon said:

I have never seen that before, do you have a part number?

If you are looking to be correct, the line between the frame and pump was a braided steel cable to most likely help control pulsation below the pump. It would just be a rubber line between the two. The 54-56 Buicks I believe are all the same and are what avgwarhawk posted.

However, if you want a glass bowl setup look at the 57-59 configurations. I put a glass bowl on my daily 56 from a 58 and run rubber lines from the pump to it and then to the carb. It works really well and I can use a modern paper filter in the glass bowl housing. I prefer this over the pancake filter because its just a sintered brass mesh and its 50's filtration. With the 58 setup I get (allegedly) modern filtration with the paper filter and I can see just like a cheap filter when it starts to get gunked up, if ever. Some do not prefer them because they have hulk hands and break the glass somehow. I have had zero issues and while I was driving my Buick daily, I was putting almost 4000 miles on it a year.

I will take a look for a part number of the filter screwed into the back of my two barrel Carter carb and let you know. 

I run the glass set up on my 60. No issues with it. Looks proper. 

• Like 1

All,

For those that can not locate an  original pancake filter type or wish to loose the in line filter by the pump and visible The following part numbers should work for your Carter carbs.  I do not know if these will work for Stromberg:

Carquest Premium filter #86081 and #86933.  It appears Wix 33081 will also work.  Specs are 1/2 inch-20 inlet. 1/8 inch-27 outlet. 

Installed Carquest #86081.  I have not run the engine yet to check for leaks.  May be a good idea no?  Will do tonight. 

4a9eRYh.jpg  

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

Fired up the 264 last night.  No leaks.  Good  solid filter that is not seen when the air cleaning assembly is installed.  And....my picture I see my vacuum switch wire is off it's clip.  Put that back on.  Some seepage at the side of the carb.  Snugged up the screws.  Maybe time for new gaskets in the Carter.   This 2 barrel  has been very good to me.  

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 10:35 AM, avgwarhawk said:

All,

For those that can not locate an  original pancake filter type or wish to loose the in line filter by the pump and visible The following part numbers should work for your Carter carbs.  I do not know if these will work for Stromberg:

Carquest Premium filter #86081 and #86933.  It appears Wix 33081 will also work.  Specs are 1/2 inch-20 inlet. 1/8 inch-27 outlet. 

Installed Carquest #86081.  I have not run the engine yet to check for leaks.  May be a good idea no?  Will do tonight. 

4a9eRYh.jpg  

Thanks for posting and doing this...worked perfectly on my 55 WCFB!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

On 11/21/2019 at 11:35 AM, avgwarhawk said:

On 11/30/2019 at 12:13 PM, old-tank said:

Thanks for posting and doing this...

X 2, picking one up tomorrow

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@MStuartkdid you find the pancake filter, or did you use @avgwarhawkCarquest filter?

Early Buick pancake filter was not able to take apart only had a drain plug, and is listed with photo in 1951 and 1952 Buick shop manual, and listed a cleaning process with specific chemicals, part # 1341715 for Carter carburetor F30-60 

Later Buick pancake gasoline filter had a nut and bolt through center of it and was able to be taken apart to clean and had a rubber gasket in between both halves Buick part # 5452170 gasoline filter, repair kit part # 5452162 includes gasket, and gasket part # 5452157.

Delco Moraine listed 2 filters, part # 100, I believe this was with drain plug only , and #175 was with bolt going through center of it?

Pancake gasoline filters were used on Buick's from 1942 thru 1956.

Bob

E3727854-5ADB-4B9E-A6D2-D2E7EAF3E759.jpeg

7C7E91F0-0293-4983-81F6-620A5DDE528E.jpeg

Edited by NailheadBob
Added photo (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2