Brake Issues

BMac

On my 64 Riviera, I am having issues with the brakes.  I am running the stock drums front and back.  Front drums are in spec and recently turned.  Rear drums are new.  All new wheel cylinders.  New booster/dual master from OPGI.  All new steel and rubber lines as well. My issue is when I apply the brakes, they initially work, then they grab and lock up.  I have had the wheels on and off adjusting them many times and nothing is correcting it.  At this point I feel it must be something simple I am overlooking.  Just seeing if anyone else has experienced something similar and has any suggestions.  Thanks

41 minutes ago, BMac said:

On my 64 Riviera, I am having issues with the brakes.  I am running the stock drums front and back.  Front drums are in spec and recently turned.  Rear drums are new.  All new wheel cylinders.  New booster/dual master from OPGI.  All new steel and rubber lines as well. My issue is when I apply the brakes, they initially work, then they grab and lock up.  I have had the wheels on and off adjusting them many times and nothing is correcting it.  At this point I feel it must be something simple I am overlooking.  Just seeing if anyone else has experienced something similar and has any suggestions.  Thanks

Please look at the placement of the brake shoes on each backing plate. You have "primary shoes" and "secondary shoes". One faces forward and one faces toward the rear. See shop manual for details.  If you accidentally put the rear-facing shoe in the front, it will make the brakes really grab as you apply them.

Thanks for the tips everyone.  I cant get out to the shop until tomorrow night to check if the shoes are on correctly.  If they are correct, I will order new ones.  The shoes on it look new, but are probably 30 plus years old.

I do not.  The car had been going through a restoration when I got it, and the old booster/master had seen better days.  It was tossed when replaced.  OPGI sells several different booster/master combos for 1gen Rivieras and this one was specifically for the drum/drum application.

17 minutes ago, BMac said:

I do not.  The car had been going through a restoration when I got it, and the old booster/master had seen better days.  It was tossed when replaced.  OPGI sells several different booster/master combos for 1gen Rivieras and this one was specifically for the drum/drum application.

Well, drum/drum was the only configuration available for the 1st gen, so if OPGI is selling anything else as an OEM replacement it's further evidence of their general cluelessness.  I would definitely explore that line of investigation.

You might still have a look at the shoes, though.  If they've been exposed to brake fluid, they can grab.

• Thanks 1

OPGI was not claiming to to be an OEM replacemnt.  It is a dual master, for the drum/drum configuration.  They also have one for disc/drum and disc/disc.  Those ones include proportioning valves it appears.  For my knowledge, what would make the one I have not function as it should?  I am reluctant to pull it off as it was fairly costly and not the easiest thing to swap back out.  The rear end did not have any drums on it when I got the car, so the shoes were exposed for many years and upon examination I noticed they had a lot of primer overspray on them.

First, the booster and master are discreet components.  There's no reason to buy them as a set (other than convenience).  Given OPGI's reputation, you should consider the possibility that while the two parts may work with each other, one (or both) may be incorrect for your car.

If it were my car, though, I'd replace the shoes as a matter of course (because that's relatively cheap and yours are suspect) and see where that leaves you.

Too bad you chucked the old parts.  Your could've had the booster rebuilt and picked up a dual master from anywhere (e.g. Rock Auto).

4 hours ago, BMac said:

OPGI was not claiming to to be an OEM replacemnt.  It is a dual master, for the drum/drum configuration.  They also have one for disc/drum and disc/disc.  Those ones include proportioning valves it appears.  For my knowledge, what would make the one I have not function as it should?  I am reluctant to pull it off as it was fairly costly and not the easiest thing to swap back out.  The rear end did not have any drums on it when I got the car, so the shoes were exposed for many years and upon examination I noticed they had a lot of primer overspray on them.

4 hours ago, BMac said:

So, the shoes do not look new, have been exposed to the elements for years and have been painted on??? Oh boy...Lol,
Tom

• Thanks 1

No, the shoes probably have no miles on them.  The car sat in the corner of a bodyshop all those years, so never exposed to the outside elements, and I stated that they have some overspray on them, not painted.  But hey thanks for the comic relief buddy.  Everyone has been helpful, but not sure why you waste your time posting Tom?

I had this problem with my 1963, single master cylinder.  When it was warm the brakes would stick. I changed the master cylinder and the problem went away. I see you have already replaced the cylinder, maybe it's bad. Try tapping on the master when it sticks to see if it will release.

Kevin 

2 hours ago, BMac said:

No, the shoes probably have no miles on them.  The car sat in the corner of a bodyshop all those years, so never exposed to the outside elements, and I stated that they have some overspray on them, not painted.  But hey thanks for the comic relief buddy.  Everyone has been helpful, but not sure why you waste your time posting Tom?

My point was that if the shoes are not or do not appear to be new and instead appear to be potentially contaminated then that changes things. If the shoes were replaced by someone else who knows if they are even the correct shoes??

In terms of an answer to your question that would probably be best left to a new thread!

Good luck with your car/brake issue

Tom