brown wrinkle paint for heater

Bill Stewart

Could you send a picture of your heater? I have one in my 35 but it's missing the doors on it as it's painted black but Brown might look better. Also it has two chrome pieces on the front that need help.I need a better looking heater or need to redo mine. Thanks. Greg.

Greg, I am mostly computer illiterate and have not succeeded in attaching a picture to this blog. I plan to contact a younger distant relative (better genes) to help me with this. My heater is the larger one available in 1936. I can text or email a pic if you send me your contact info.

I'm quite certain that all 1936 heaters were painted with a brown wrinkle paint. Don't know about 1935. Other members may check me on that. See Larry Schramm' reference to Kennedy paint up above in this topic. It is expensive but it seems awfully close in color and I intend to get it.

Bill

When I started on my 38 Buicks, maybe 45 years ago, I had the brown of the steering column and radio color matched. The paint was perfect.

When I did my '38 Coupe about 5 years ago and did the stuff printed wrinkle brown, I first shot it with Wastwood "wrinke black" and then used that old brown. It came out very well.

In the interem I bought a couple of additional radios and heaters and defrosters. I found thet there were slight differences on the original brown color. So there were production variances in color.

The photo is of my latest heater.

DSCN2147.JPG

I am not sure of the exact brown you are looking for, but I found a great alternative to wrinkle paint.  I recently did the interior of my 1936 gmc pickup with wrinkle powder coat. I bought the product from Jim Carter truck parts and had a local powder coat shop spray it, it looks amazing

D28A7CB4-29F4-4E6E-B2EE-3AF95E26C74E.jpeg

Sorry all,  I may have to either learn how to use my iPhone or learn how to drive standing on my head

I found a Rust-Oleum product that matches the heater color exactly. It works perfectly for touch-up. It does not cover black wrinkle to my satisfaction.

The paint is "Rust-Oleum 2X Ultra Cover paint and primer". London Gray (really) satin. product#249857

The Kennedy paint mentioned above by Larry Schramm is the way to go when starting from scratch (bare metal).