chemical quality of antifreeze

trini

Have any one did a research on the  different brands  of anti freeze ? The chemical composition ? How effective They are ? The negative/positive  effect they have on radiator tubes, the entire system ? There are  many brands out and it would be nice if some one could get the manufacturers to divulge their formula.  It is the consumer right to know, especially with the modern engines nowadays. 

You might find many of them are made by the same company. Penrite, for example, source theirs from BASF. You might like to check SDSs to see what you can learn.

No antifreeze will damage your engine. All the bottles I read say safe for all metals. They will not damage gaskets.

Contemporary technology is Organic Acid Technology. That is designed to protect aluminium, zinc and magnesium, which are right at the top of the galvanic series. Our older engines don't have a lot of those metals, although the radiator solder might contain quantities of them?

There is so much BS floating around about Ethylene Glycol antifreeze it can make you dizzy. It is a rabbit hole. You can read for hours, maybe days, and still not really know anything. I have been using DexCool and similar "phosphate free" modern formulas since the mid 1980s in all sorts of old cars and it has not caused me any trouble yet, though I get dire warnings via the Internet so often I have become numb to it. Maybe it will bite me eventually, I don't know. I'm not holding my breath.

IMHO no matter what sort of Ethylene Glycol antifreeze you are using, the important thing is to change it every 2 years (at least), no matter what the bottle says.

• Like 1

An old rad guy showed me a piece of flat brass from a honey comb rad and asked me to look at it to see if there are holes through it. I could not see any. But looking through it against the sunlight there were lots of fine pin holes. He said he contacted about 4 of the manufacturers  who sells their brands  here and found what  he thought is  best and recommend it for old radiators and also newer ones. He said he based his findings on the  chemicals used in manufacturing. He may be right but how do we know whether or not the previous owners treated the radiators gently, like changing the fluids as recommended ?