Question on “Soft” Windshield Material

TerryB

I’m reading the book about Alice Ramsey, the first woman to cross the United States by automobile.  She is driving a 1909 Maxwell DA on her adventure and in the book she mentioned she has a roll up windshield on the car.  Pictures indicate it’s similar to a roll up side curtain. So what is the clear material made of that allows her to see the road yet can be rolled?  It’s 1909 so plastic is out.  Any ideas?

"isinglass"  was used to describe a couple of different materials, typically based on fish bladders or mica.  Of course the mica wouldn't bend but the canvas it was held in would.  Cellulose acetate is another possibility, and could be made flexible by having glycerin added.  And those are early plastics.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that if you enter  Bladders  in the search box, you will quickly find a couple or three topics which discussed this in some detail. The original sidecurtains on my 1924 Cadillac are still rather flexible, and in extremely good condition. As the old Cad has always been a "fair weather" car since new, they were seldom used before I bought it 30 years ago. I have only flown them a very few days myself. However, they have yellowed, and are not as clear as they must have been back in the year of the "Scopes Monkey Trial", Clarence Darrow vs. William Jennings Bryan. They have no "fishy" odor whatsoever. Next time you find yourself in an exotic Japanese restaurant, try the superb Moonfish liver pate. Probably will not be on the English language menu. I intend to try the Fugu when I become old enough to die willingly.    -   Carl 

629D2872-2E9D-4D42-8D3E-FC4B3F2B65ED.jpeg