Can’t get started

Patrick C

Rebuilt by a professional engine builder. When I picked up the engine he handed me the distributor. I lined up the yellow mark on the flywheel with the center of the opening on the housing where I believe is the line. I set the rotor to #1 plug and dropped in the distributor and then cranked the engine with nothing not even a pop. It has spark and getting gas. I set the points too.

The yellow mark on the flywheel comes around twice for every cycle of the engine. Once for cylinder 1 and once for cylinder 8. Look at the valves on 8......if it's the right yellow mark, the exhaust valve on 8 is closing and the intake valve is opening, that's when cylinder 1 is on the compression stroke. Put the distributor in with the rotor pointing to 1 under the cap. If the valves on 1 are opening and closing, that's the wrong yellow mark. Turn the engine to the next one.

• Like 2

Another thing is the flywheel could have been put on to the crankshaft wrong, if the 263 is like the 248 there is no alignment pin, so flywheel can be put on in 6 different positions, only one position is right. Pull the valve cover and plugs, bring the #1 piston to TDC compression stroke. Watch the rocker arms, when the intake valve closes, turn the crank 1/2 turn, that will be TDC compression, this is when you set the distributor. Also the flywheel mark should be in the window if it was installed correctly. As Tinindian stated it could be 180 degree out of time, the flywheel mark shows in the window of #1  TDC compression, and TDC exhaust.

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Take an old spark plug and knock out the center porcelain insulator.  Put the plug in number one cylinder and stretch a balloon over it.  Crank the engine and look to see if number one wire is  sparking when the balloon is inflated or deflated.  Obviously it should spark when inflated. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

For shits and giggles, if you have not moved the distributor yet,  pull it up, turn the rotor 180 degrees and try again.

Ben

I was just about to suggest this, as it would account for #1 piston to be at top dead center, but on the exhaust, rather than the compression stroke when the distributor was positioned.

The same thing happened to a member of our local Corvair group -

and after several days of fiddling, I reversed the wires on the 
"modern" Pertronix electronic unit he used to replace the old-reliable points and condenser,

and then transferred all of his ignition system spark plug wires exactly 180 degrees-

after that, it fired right up

11 hours ago, 29hupp said:

Take an old spark plug and knock out the center porcelain insulator.  Put the plug in number one cylinder and stretch a balloon over it.  Crank the engine and look to see if number one wire is  sparking when the balloon is inflated or deflated.  Obviously it should spark when inflated. 

Can also turn the crankshaft with a wrench and when the balloon inflates to maximum look at which plug the rotor button is pointing to.  Should be #1.

14 hours ago, 29hupp said:

That is a great idea, using a balloon over a hollowed out spark plug to find TDC- in case you don't have a compression tester with you-

wish I had thought of years ago, and again just several days ago per my most recent post (above).

I just had the owner use his finger in the threaded hole for the sparkplug, and tell me when he felt pressure.

I've also used a plastic straw from a WD-40 can to show height while looking at the overhead valves rockers

This FORUM shares so many neat ideas !!

• Like 2