1926?Chrysler engine

The Exhaust/intake manifold is is not correct for a 1925/1926 Crylser six  -   they don't have the upward curl and flat area over the end exhaust port 

like both of these in photos.  The manifold is more or less straight across and turns 90 deg into the #1 exhaust port.   Cricket

The above discussions lead to some interesting thoughts.

My first reaction like Crickets, was that the up turned manifold is not Chrysler, but when looking on the nett at images of Chrysler motors, there are several pictures showing this upturned manifold. The rest of the picture appears to be either a B70 or G70 motor.

I did a bit of searching in the Chrysler spares book and there were 4 different part numbers  for manifolds for B70 and G70, two each for LHD and RHD.

I then looked up magneto's, interestingly they were ONLY offered on RHD  cars and these were the B70, G70 and 4 cyl models 50 and 52. There is NO mention of magneto's for ANY LHD cars.

The 2 pictures showing this upturned manifold I think are both RHD cars. The picture from Vintageben quite clearly shows that the timing chain cover had the option to fit a magneto. The picture from Sasha39 has the same manifold but appears to have a standard battery ignition type timing chain cover.

When considering the pictures one has to be confused, vintageben's has a battery distributor  ignition, so why does it have a magneto drive? The Sasha39 has no facility for a Mag drive, so why the upturned exhaust?

There are several possibilities that parts may have been retro fitted, but I would think that as both cars are RHD (and were built in smaller numbers than the LHD), that Chrysler possibly used up whatever parts were at hand when building these cars. Remember too, that the RHD cars HAD to have different exhaust manifolds to LHD, this was to change the angle of the exhaust pipe to clear the steering column, it then becomes obvious that the upturned manifolds( to clear a magneto,) were used up on battery ignition cars.

Some years ago I had a model 52 and a spare model 50 engine.The front timing gear cover on the Model 50 was totally different from the model 52 and it had no facility to fit a distributor. I often wondered whether it may have had a magneto, but in my 30+ years of ownership, I never saw another 4 cyl Chrysler motor like it,  I now know why, because only RHD had magneto's and those fitted with a mag must have been rare. Just wish I had photographed it. That motor is now somewhere in India.

Wow thanks Viv w that is most informative I couldn’t find anything in the limited books I have on Chrysler. I was really starting to wonder if anyone was going to come up with anything, it’s funny how here in Australia we often see oddities in production very different to our U.S.A counterparts and often a using up of left over parts . Thanks again 

Most likely they made one manifold for RHD cars, that would accommodate a mag and they all got the same one, whether they had the optional mag or not. I know a lot of old tractors had a choice of mag or coil ignition, and were made so the change was a simple bolt on.

Why they bothered offering a magneto I don't know. By the time those cars were made the Kettering system of coil ignition, electric start and regulated generator had been standard equipment on American cars for more than 10 years. I believe some expensive British cars stuck with the magneto well into the thirties, so it is possible some customers demanded the mag, although it was more expensive and did not work any better than the stock ignition. On the other hand, a mag has the advantage that you can start and run the car with a flat battery or no battery at all. Which could make a difference in remote areas, far from a garage.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Rusty-OToole, they definitely made 2 different RHD manifolds for B70 and G70. I have a RHD 1926 model G70, engine G101050, with the normal style of manifold and battery ignition.

As you say, why did Chrysler offer magneto ignition only on some RHD vehicles?  Even tho Australia and Africa were pretty remote areas back in the 20's, there would have been areas in other parts of the world that were equally remote but had LHD vehicles. 

I wonder if Chrysler's historical archives would have any info on the subject?

Been looking in the parts manual again tonight, the timing chain cover(and front engine support) also has 4 different part numbers. The numbers changed at certain car serial numbers, but again interestingly the LHD and RHD were differen, why ??. Also looked at frames (chassis) for B & G series cars, there were 14 different part numbers, eek!!

That's why if you are looking for parts for early Chrysler cars, you have to look hard, as parts changed during production. It is very challenging restoring these older cars.

Just an afterthought, does anyone have an owners handbook showing anything about magneto's. Maybe Chrysler did an export handbook for RHD cars with this option??

Edited by viv w
update (see edit history)
  • Like 1