Windshield Removal Instructions Inquiry

B Jake Moran

Do an internet search and there are some new window removal tools that might work to save the plastic surround.

That plastic was installed by LOF and several post have noted it is virtually impossible to transfer the plastic from one window to another.

49 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

Do an internet search and there are some new window removal tools that might work to save the plastic surround.

That plastic was installed by LOF and several post have noted it is virtually impossible to transfer the plastic from one window to another.

Yes that is what worries me.  There are, or were, 2 good windshields in 2 Reattas at a junkyard near me. I would have to remove and not sure I am up to it. The last thing I would want to do is remove them and leave a critical component ruined or left behind.   I need photos and steps. 

Let me repeat..........do an internet search and you will find videos using the new equipment.........it is a crank/reel that sticks to the inside of the windshield with suction cups....

I could look it up and post a link..........but then you would not have anything to do.

Youtube is my best friend when it come to looking at how to do things. Then if it is within my reapir abilities I do it. If beyond then I call in the "heavy artillery" Bob or Kendall or last resort an actual repair facility.

Too hot to work outside.........break time.

Here is a video .......slick tool,  there are other versions.   Notice it uses what looks like a small cord, that should not damage the Reatta plastic.

You could buy one of these and make money at the pick-n-pull removing windshields for other people.

This company has several version, looks like a complete kit is about $400

https://www.ebay.com/sch/cachemondo/m.html?item=173976545328&hash=item2881cf6830%3Ag%3AVxkAAOSwO2lbfgXK&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

I'm too lazy to make a drawing............... close your eyes and imagine..........the edge of the glass has a plastic "U" shaped piece that circles the perimeter of the glass (front and rear)

They lay a bead of adhesive/sealer on the metal at the window opening...... set the glass in place and wait for it to set-up ..... they use rubber/plastic spacers at the bottom of the glass so it will not slide down

GM has been installing front and rear glass like that since around 1965...... not a new process

Barney

Thank you for providing that video.  I will purchase this product - if I can find it on Amazon.  I will remove my 1991 Maui Blue and Tan windshield which is cracked.  This will make it easier to restore the interior anyway. 

Removal is one thing. Installation is another.  

Good video and it was a nice tool that they used to pull the string. After looking at the video I was wondering if you couldn't do the same thing by hand using some of the new weed trimmer line that seems to have strands of wire molded into the plastic?

Probably would need some leather gloves to prevent the string from cutting your hands and a helper to guide the line around the windshield but it looks like it would be doable.