Teves 2: The Tevening

Spazzaroth

I know I've been starting a lot of topics around here. But now that I've got my 89 up and running I'm trying to iron out all the kinks.  The next kink is the brakes.

My amber light stays on which I understand is pretty standard for these cars.  when I hit the brakes and it feels like the ABS is trying to activate I get a really hard brake pedal with very limited braking capability for a few seconds and then it reverts to normal braking and I get good standard braking ability again.

I've replaced the brake relay and flushed the brake fluid. But that's about it.  My wheel speed sensor leads are totally shot.  Almost no insulation on the whole length of them.  Would that be a good place to start? seems like finding new or aftermarket leads for that car is difficult. Does anybody have any advice?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by Spazzaroth (see edit history)

You have two issues going on. 

In my opinion one or more of your rubber brake lines are collapsed and minimal fluid is getting through which might be fine for normal braking but not for hard stops.

The amber light issue is that your front  ABS leads are bad [you say the insulation is gone] and need replacement. I sold my last two but either Jim Finn or Marck Barker might have them. See the sticky on the top of the page for contact information.

The brake lines can be bought from Rock Auto fairly cheaply.

5 hours ago, Spazzaroth said:

I get a really hard brake pedal with very limited braking capability for a few seconds and then it reverts to normal braking

Does the RED brake warning light come on when you hit the brakes?  If so the hard brake pedal you are getting for a few seconds is probably caused by a bad accumulator ball.  I agree with Dave that you need to replace the ABS wheel sensors to get rid of the yellow ABS light.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Spazzaroth said:

I know I've been starting a lot of topics around here. But now that I've got my 89 up and running I'm trying to iron out all the kinks. 

Nothing wrong with asking a lot of questions.  Questions and answers is the reason most of us come here.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking around for brake accumulators, and it seems like a strange market, especially trying to find things on eBay et cetera.  I don't really want to pay $279 for a used one. Are there any options for new ones? Will Jaguar parts fit?

Never pay any serious money for a used one..........most sellers have no way of testing and telling how much life is remaining in a used accumulator.

We have been concerned for years that "new" units may have been in warehouses for years.   While they are "sealed"  they do degrade over time even when not used.

When you search,  look for someone saying it is compatible to GM # 25528382....... then if it does not screw into the Reatta pump or has other problems you have some

grounds for rejecting it back to the seller.       www.spinningwheels-sc.com has been a good source for new units but they have trouble keeping them in stock.

Will the Jaguar part fit........some owners say they purchased accumulators from Jaguar vendors.   The Teves unit was used on many different brands of cars back in the mid-80's

you would think they all used the same accumulator,  but that may not be the case.      I found a list that had all the cars that used the Teves Mark 2....this is just the brands

Lincoln, Buick, Cadillac, Olds, Pontiac, Ford, Merkur, Peugeot, Saab..... there is reference to Audi and Volkswagen but a VW shop told me it must have been in Europe as they

had never seen a VW in the US with Teves

• Like 1

There is no mention of it being new and it looks like it is used. You already have a used on so I would keep looking.  I don't believe you will find a new one in the ACDelco brand but you can try here..  Maybe give them a call and see what they recommend.  A Hydac brand accumulator will be your best bet if you can find one. I can't remember the correct part number. Not all Hydacs are the same.

This will work if they have it in stock.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)
  • Like 1