Battery for Model A

mrcvs

In another thread, an Optima battery was recommended.  When you select year, make, and model on the site, it doesn't have the right battery available for the Model A.  Suggestions?

I am replacing an Exide battery.  I know I bought it locally in 2014, but where?

Tried Wal-Mart as well as AutoZone and Tractor Supply, and no luck.

If you get a Group 1 battery it will fit easily.

If you want a tighter fit and more amps get a Group 2 if you have enough cable length to reach the battery posts.

I never had any problem with Group 2 batteries in 4 Model T's and a '29 Model A.

There is only one Optima 6 volt model as far as I know. It is not the same size or shape as any original battery, so it probably isn't in make-model-year listings.

The one size they do offer will fit in the space allotted for most original 6 volt batteries, but you would need to confirm with a measuring tape.

https://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8010-044-Starting-Battery/dp/B00099HVN6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=6v+optima&link_code=qs&qid=1559516068&s=gateway&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-1

31 minutes ago, Bloo said:

There is only one Optima 6 volt model as far as I know. It is not the same size or shape as any original battery, so it probably isn't in make-model-year listings.

The one size they do offer will fit in the space allotted for most original 6 volt batteries, but you would need to confirm with a measuring tape.

https://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8010-044-Starting-Battery/dp/B00099HVN6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=6v+optima&link_code=qs&qid=1559516068&s=gateway&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-1

Wow, $187.99!  I know when the Exide battery was purchased Spring of 2014, if I spent half that, it was a lot.  Surprisingly, even when you put in 1930 Ford Model A on the Exide site, nothing comes up.  Perhaps the Optima is the only currently made 6 volt battery.

Any cheaper options come to mind?

Just ask for "6 Volt group 1 Lead acid battery" at the Tractor store. That chain sells them, if it isn't in stock have them get one in from the warehouse. Same with a NAPA store. It is just more effort and they maybe don't want to be bothered. I buy mine at a local variety store ( Bi-Mart) and they last about 8+ years.

• Like 2

Optimas are nice because they don't leak, and they don't corrode up your battery terminals. I bought a 12v one for an Alfa Romeo in the summer of 1995. That Optima was stolen when it was 18 years old. It was still working fine. They are expensive, but worth it. You have to shop around for the best price.

On the other hand, if you let it go completely flat dead the Optima will be just as shot as any other battery. Depending on the car and how it is used, it may make more sense to buy the cheap one.

I second JFranklin's advice. Go to a battery store, or someplace that does tractors. The overwhelming majority of 6v cars use a Group 1. Group 2 is slightly bigger, and sometimes used as an extra capacity option, or in larger cars. You can measure to see what you have. Group 1 is an extremely common tractor battery.

There are also 6v batteries intended for Volkswagen that have about the same footprint as a Group 1, but are shorter in height. They used to be the most common one to find in a parts store, but today I think the Group 1 is more common.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

The biggest advantage of an Optima in any application where the battery is underneath the floor is that you never have to mess with checking the water level. Install it and forget it. 

And while this would be overkill in a Model A, it sure spins a REO engine over nicely. 

2403A175-7CC6-4BAE-B58E-8C5BD788B998.thumb.jpeg.463916b1bd47e7d0305527d355ceeaec.jpeg

Turns out the 6 volt battery was delivered to Tractor Supply today when I inquired after finding it in line.  700 CCA.  The last time my Model A ran it ran fine.  Dead battery last year.  All fluids changed and full, gas line open, key on, choke adjusted properly and it turns over but won't fire.

I listed this Model A for sale.  I no longer find this hobby rewarding.

4 hours ago, mrcvs said:

Turns out the 6 volt battery was delivered to Tractor Supply today when I inquired after finding it in line.  700 CCA.  The last time my Model A ran it ran fine.  Dead battery last year.  All fluids changed and full, gas line open, key on, choke adjusted properly and it turns over but won't fire.

I listed this Model A for sale.  I no longer find this hobby rewarding.

You will get better money and a larger response if the car is running prior to its sale. there are only a few more things to check to get it running. You need compression, timed spark, and good clean fuel making it all the way into the cylinder and it will run, I guarantee it!  

It definitely has compression.  The sparks were timed the last time it ran.  I added fuel to the minimal amount left in the tank already.  Problem is nothing ever seems to run around here.  On the other hand, I'm sure someone with better skills than I could get this to run rather quickly.

WERE CARS BACK IN THE DAY SIMPLY UNRELIABLE?

Are you certain it's getting fuel? If you stored it with a small amount of fuel in it, there can be debris in the tank that has settled over the fuel pick up. Disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor (you can just loosen it slightly) and open the valve and see if fuel seeps past the threads. 

You can also easily check for spark by moving one of the copper leads from the tip of the spark plug to a position close to the base to visibly see if spark is jumping from the copper lead to the plug. 

Those will at least narrow down two of the three ingredients and you can start troubleshooting from there.