Long distance driving/traveling with vintage cars

TTR

1 hour ago, Aussi John 1 said:

My 29 Studebaker President, has travelled over 30 thousand miles in the last 20 years. It has been from Sydney where I live, to South Australia twice, Toowoomba in Queensland and many trips to the Western plains of NSW.

vscca-75th anniverary-2019-wagga.jpg

Very cool ! Please feel free to share more details about these travel experiences.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 2:13 PM, R Walling said:

... 13 older cars, and every one of them could go cross country ...

Oh man ! If I had been given every car this ^^ claim has been made (but not proven) in past 4+ decades, I'd need a largest building in the world to store them all in. 🙄

OTOH, the caveat in the above claim is likely in the word "older", which could mean anything between a brand new car purchased a day or two ago (but is now "older") to a vehicle that's 100+ years old. 😉

• 5 months later...

Another great, early am, 100 mile Sunday drive.
Left around 5:30, took one of the dreaded freeways to CA 138, headed east toward Silverwood Lake (1st attached photo taken this am near it), continued up the mountains to Lake Gregory and Lake Arrowhead.
Returned home via CA 18 and 20 or so miles on the boring freeway.

After rebuilding the engine (‘53 DeSoto 276”), along with clutch, steering gear + light transmission overhaul last year, all finished at the end of July, she has since provided over 6000 miles of driving pleasures, which includes the aforementioned 3000+ mile road trip in September, 800+ mile trip to Las Vegas & Death Valley in February (2nd & 3rd photos) and 1100+ mile trip up the coast to San Francisco  and back, etc. (last 3 photos).

43319B36-F3E5-4967-AA1A-65FAAB41ED9E.jpeg

FF8CDC16-F06D-4A60-AC9A-0F9469E1B15C.jpeg

8F8789B2-48D5-4BF5-A0F1-990E4526C9BB.jpeg

74979E82-8A5C-4469-967B-AB000626D88B.jpeg

C1B95A25-FAFC-4094-AA33-EEAFB3B12D38.jpeg

9D44A8C3-2767-44F5-A9C2-25FE1FCCD1C1.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TTR said:

Another great, early am, 100 mile Sunday drive.
Left around 5:30, took one of the dreaded freeways to CA 138, headed east toward Silverwood Lake (1st attached photo taken this am near it), continued up the mountains to Lake Gregory and Lake Arrowhead.
Returned home via CA 18 and 20 or so miles on the boring freeway.

After rebuilding the engine (‘53 DeSoto 276”), along with clutch, steering gear + light transmission overhaul last year, all finished at the end of July, she has since provided over 6000 miles of driving pleasures, which includes the aforementioned 3000+ mile road trip in September, 800+ mile trip to Las Vegas & Death Valley in February (2nd & 3rd photos) and 1100+ mile trip up the coast to San Francisco  and back, etc. (last 3 photos).

43319B36-F3E5-4967-AA1A-65FAAB41ED9E.jpeg

FF8CDC16-F06D-4A60-AC9A-0F9469E1B15C.jpeg

8F8789B2-48D5-4BF5-A0F1-990E4526C9BB.jpeg

74979E82-8A5C-4469-967B-AB000626D88B.jpeg

C1B95A25-FAFC-4094-AA33-EEAFB3B12D38.jpeg

9D44A8C3-2767-44F5-A9C2-25FE1FCCD1C1.jpeg

… and now, having just finished an early lunch, rewarding myself for being such a good driver and vintage car enthusiast. 😉

Had to get both, the drive and rewarding ceremony, done early since it’s expected to be around 107 degrees this afternoon here.

C0EF4F26-E90A-4896-A57A-0F440D3479D0.jpeg

• Like 4

just got back from a 950 mile round trip to Ohio to visit family over the 4th of July.... my 53 pontiac is in the long distance shakedown mode since getting back on the road 2 years ago.... 

Maiden voyage was to Wisconsin. 2173 miles round trip..... sept 2021 to flathead reunion.... numerous local runs 50-60 miles weekends... 40 miles round trip to work each day when no hail or bad storms expected... 

Next major trip next summer/fall to Arizona.... from PA to visit family... Anyone local feel free to contact me. Sometimes best to travel in a group. 

This car is a one family, 4th generation driver.. 

My wife's great grandfather had from new.... got passed down to grandfather, then got  put in the barn 1976.... Her father missed actual ownership because of a stint in the Army.... 

We took ownership in 2009 after Bills passing..... 

Got it running in about 2 weeks and enjoyed the car for 1500 more miles over the next 2 years....

A rear main oil leak and a slipping clutch repair turned into an 8 year journey,(in the barn again) which led to the current enjoyment of this piece of history...... 

20230703_203847.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@john hess That sounds like a great car and a wonderful way to honor its history, by using it as such. 👍

My wife and I are making some preliminary road trip plans to Santa Fe, NM and back in our “Indian Turquoise” ‘57 New Yorker, perhaps next year, so if our paths should cross, we’ll wave and maybe stop and say hello …

… or …

… alternatively, if your AZ trip miraculously extends to Southern California, please stop by in Riverside and I’ll be happy take you to a nice dinner as I’m always interested in meeting fellow vintage car travelers (we don’t usually encounter many during ours and I’m not into organized group tours).

• 7 months later...

Needed a little break from the shop full of projects, including a ‘56 Imperial, ‘60 Chrysler 300, ‘67 GMC and ‘72 Ferrari, so got on the road yesterday and drove about 80 miles to Yucca Valley, spent early part of today cruising (& hiking) in and around Joshua Tree Nat’l Park (racked up another 50+ miles).

Just finished the day with outdoor grilling of steaks, shrimps and asparagus which got washed down with some great Pinot Noir and spent early evening in the outdoor spa (seen in the background of the second picture).
Now I’m ready for a cigar, ice cream, single malt & stargazing by the fire pit (seen in the foreground of the second picture)
More of the same tomorrow, then heading back to home  Monday and “back to the grind” Tuesday.

Not bad for little R & R, including open vintage car driving in late February. 

Life is good.

59E2FF61-55F7-4E80-B950-4734C2146C30.png

4916C94E-CF7B-42CF-874E-23D14E4CEA11.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TTR said:

Needed a little break from the shop full of projects, including a ‘56 Imperial, ‘60 Chrysler 300, ‘67 GMC and ‘72 Ferrari, so got on the road yesterday and drove about 80 miles to Yucca Valley, spent early part of today cruising (& hiking) in and around Joshua Tree Nat’l Park (racked up another 50+ miles).

Just finished the day with outdoor grilling of steaks, shrimps and asparagus which got washed down with some great Pinot Noir and spent early evening in the outdoor spa (seen in the background of the second picture).
Now I’m ready for a cigar, ice cream, single malt & stargazing by the fire pit (seen in the foreground of the second picture)
More of the same tomorrow, then heading back to home  Monday and “back to the grind” Tuesday.

Not bad for little R & R, including open vintage car driving in late February. 

Life is good.

Wow, this sounds great!  

But wait a second - I missed noticing which car you drove. Since you were hard at work on '50s and '60s cars, I guess you drove a '20s or '30s car to capture a real thrill.  That would make the steaks, shrimp and asparagus taste much better. The Pinot Noir and single malt, of course, would go well with any antique car.  At any rate. please share a picture of the run.:)

11 hours ago, pmhowe said:

Wow, this sounds great!  

But wait a second - I missed noticing which car you drove. Since you were hard at work on '50s and '60s cars, I guess you drove a '20s or '30s car to capture a real thrill.  That would make the steaks, shrimp and asparagus taste much better. The Pinot Noir and single malt, of course, would go well with any antique car.  At any rate. please share a picture of the run.:)

Car we drove (& will continue to drive today & tomorrow) is in both pictures I posted yesterday, but in case they (the pictures) aren’t high enough resolution, she’s a our 1932 PB Roadster shown in numerous other posts in this thread and is already idling/warming up outside for today’s adventures as I type this.
Weather prediction for today appears to be as good or better than yesterday and more than appropriate for an open car experience.  😊

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

I have a friend that drove a 1912 Winton from Detroit to Yellowstone and back a few years ago. 

I also have another friend that drove a 1929 Buick from Toronto to Washington state and back last summer.

That IMO is a long distance drive.

Mr. Funk!

Long distance touring legend!

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 7:30 PM, oldcarfudd said:

There are a couple of fascinating stories of people who recently took cross-country vacations in brass-era cars.  

Joe and Betty Swann spent the summer of 2016 driving their 1912 E-M-F from Pennsylvania to the west coast and back. The E-M-F website, emfauto.org, has their blog, and it's a great read.  

Separately, a past national president of HCCA, Don Rising, set out to travel from California to Virginia with two of his sons and two of his grandsons in 1910 and 1911 Model T Fords. One made it; the other broke an axle. Their blog is ca2vabyt. In both blogs, they tell about what precautions they took, what went well, and what didn't.  

And they both thoroughly enjoyed the adventures. It can be done!

Do you have links to these? I was not able to find them online (or on the website listed).

On 2/25/2024 at 9:20 AM, Larry Schramm said:

I have a friend that drove a 1912 Winton from Detroit to Yellowstone and back a few years ago. 

I also have another friend that drove a 1929 Buick from Toronto to Washington state and back last summer.

That IMO is a long distance drive.

Could you please check if either of these gentlemen wouldn’t mind sharing details of their adventures here, preferably on this thread ?

We just got back about an hour ago from our latest, aforementioned extended weekend trip, but only managed little less than 300 miles in 4 days.

Weather was great, Joshua Tree Nat’l Park very green and pleasant both days up until 10am, after which it started to get crowded, but we were mostly done with our cruising & hiking by that time and left.

I always find it interesting how many people are amazed/surprised to see something so old (& unusual ?) in relatively remote locations.

One of funniest things happened when we pulled into one of the trail head parking lots and there was one of those Tesla “cybertrucks”(?)* with a small crowd next to it listening/watching the driver demonstrating/showing it off, but as soon as we parked couple of spots from it, the crowd seemingly lost interest & came over to us, asking a lot of questions and several of them commenting out loud our ride being the coolest in the park, which lead to Tesla driver quickly jumping into his and hurriedly taking off. 

* To me, these “cyber trucks”(?) look like a DeLorean and some industrial size thrash compactor/dumpster got enamored with each other late one night in a dark alley or parking lot and these “things” were the consequence nine months later. 

FF579028-D55D-40A9-BC23-B1A1C6AB4AC6.jpeg

• Haha 2

The Model T Clubs have done a coast to coast progressive tour in both 2008 and I believe 2018 or '19.  That was with a group of I believe 50 cars.  I am hoping they do it again in 2028.  Below is a video of a group from Germany doing a coast to coast trip.

Here is a link of one of these experiences by a group from Germany.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

While I’m sure organized group tours can be fun, I prefer freedom & independence for my travel and would rather read (sorry, but I’m old fashioned/-school) than watch videos.

I’m also more interested in personal accounts, details & experiences of other individuals traveling/vacationing (long distances) by themselves (or with their family or significant other) in their antique/classic/vintage car.

So if anyone here has personal adventures/stories (including car problems, mishaps & unexpected surprises, scenic photos & routes, etc) they would like to share, I for one would greatly enjoy reading about them.

On 2/25/2024 at 1:47 PM, Larry Schramm said:

Absolutely true.  I have breakfast with him every Thursday morning along with some other car guys.

Seriously, my touring idol.

I have driven way too many 50 dollar, worn out, rusty old clunkers on thousand mile plus trips when I was a young pup and never had any serious problems with any of them. The usual overheating on the desert and a starter that fell off and hung by its tail for an unknown number of miles outside of St George, Utah were just minor inconveniences. No interstate highways then, just skinny two lane roads with no shoulders. All those roads here in the west went right down the main streets of every little town and you could see a lot of interesting things. Now, the interstate highways conveniently bypass any scenery, etc. and they are boring. At 80 years old and lots of health problems, I'm no longer able to drive long distances and I miss the days of adventure. However, I do drive my cars on short trips regularly with no worries at all. I am posting a picture of my favorite car. My '42 Ford is not restored, just well refreshed and well cared for. I would drive it anywhere.

DSCF0164.JPG

Edited by Glenn Thoreson (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Human-Potato Hybrid -

I contacted the Rising sons (the father has died) and the Swanns.  The Rising blog was taken down after interest in it faded.  I got this response from Betty Swann.  The blogs make for great reading!

We made 2 long trips, both in the E-M-F.  We never made any in a Model T.

We made a trip from San Diego to Colorado Springs, CO in 2012 with three other couples for an HCCA meet.  When we finished the week of touring, we headed across the middle of the country solo back to PA, even camping in the car a couple of nights. The travel  blog for that trip is on the E-M-F website which is emfauto.org. When the website comes up, look along the left side of the page and click on Swann 2012 EMF Adventure.  This blog starts with day one of the trip and ends with the last day.

In 2015, we had our own travel blog for the solo trip circumnavigating the US with a side trip by car ferry up the Inland Passage to Juneau.  I printed it out, Gil, and it filled a big 3 - ring binder!
The blog website is: bswann1912.blogspot.com. Since I didn’t know all the tricks of the website, I posted each day’s adventures one after another.  Made sense to me. However, the website postings are backwards, ie. the first post you see when you bring up the blog is actually the last day of the trip, followed by the previous day, all the way back to day one.  In other words, to read the blog in actual order, you have to refer to the date listing on the right hand side of the first page.  It shows the number of posting for each month.  Open up the earliest month and day and come forward by day.  That will get you through the trip in order of date traveled.  It is a pain, but I don’t know how to fix it.  If someone had been following the blog each day as we traveled, having the most recent day show up first made perfect sense.  This trip was a four month solo trip of 10,750 miles.

These trips were the highlights of our life.  The second trip was so long it became a lifestyle. There were only two firm days on the whole trip we were trying to meet, with the balance of the trip just free and easy, no stress, just free-wheeling through life.

We don’t believe it would be safe to make the big trip any more with weather and general violence to worry about.  At the time we made the trip, we didn’t encounter any issues , except two weeks solid of freezing rain, blowing sideways.  Luckily it happened at the very beginning of the trip and we were running on excitement and adrenaline and just laughed off the discomfort.  The next three and a half months we had perfect weather.

• Like 5

On 2/26/2024 at 7:35 PM, TTR said:

So if anyone here has personal adventures/stories (including car problems, mishaps & unexpected surprises, scenic photos & routes, etc) they would like to share, I for one would greatly enjoy reading about them.

I had pictures from my trip up the Trans Labrador highway from two years ago and most of Newfoundland. If there's enough interest I could do a thread.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, theconvertibleguy said:

I had pictures from my trip up the Trans Labrador highway from two years ago and most of Newfoundland. If there's enough interest I could do a thread.

I for one would be delighted to read about your vintage car road travel adventure, but if I may suggest, rather than start another thread, just add on to this one instead.

10 minutes ago, TTR said:

I for one would be delighted to read about your vintage car road travel adventure, but if I may suggest, rather than start another thread, just add on to this one instead.

Ah it wouldn't be a vintage car sadly. Doing that highway in a vintage car would be akin to just taking a mallet to it. It's not friendly to vehicles

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Had a nice little 500+ mile road trip over the past weekend.

Got on the road Friday around 11am, it was drizzling, but after an hour of driving west, weather started to clear. After one fueling & (late) lunch stop about halfway through 200+ mile drive and another brief, 30+ minute stop along the way to fix a malfunctioning driver’s door handle in a friend's ‘72 Ferrari, got to my destination, another friends house, around 4pm, switch to his DD and took him to a nice steak dinner. 

Next morning, we got up early and drove the Roadster to their “local” C & C about 25 miles away, which he hadn’t visited for nearly 6 months, due to some aging and health related reasons.
All his car buddies at the event were very pleased to see him there again and our arrival in my Roadster probably didn’t hurt either as majority of attendees surrounded her and were seemingly surprised by my travel stories with her in past 30+ years.

After the C & C, we drove back to his house and spent rest of the day just talking

Sunday around Noon we drove to a local country club for a “Celebration of Life” event held in honor of another dear friend and lifelong car/Ferrari enthusiast.

Monday, I drove back, but stopped along the way to have a lunch with yet another friend and then later, about 30 miles before reaching home, visited one more friend in his shop and got home around 7pm.

Little back story: A week before the trip, I decided to bring her from the house to the shop and do minor vital sign checks & trip preparations + wash her, but during the short trip discovered the generator had quit working.
Fortunately, I had a fully rebuilt spare on the shelf, so after swapping them and checking regulator adjustments, she was easily ready for the road again.

Next week, my wife, I and another couple (friends I've known for decades) vacationing here from Europe are going to drive (in 2 cars, me and my buddy in the Roadster, him driving and our wives in an modern appliance) to Joshua Tree and stay 3 nights in a rental house and take daily cruising trips to the park and other nearby scenic destinations.

While we will likely accumulate less than 300 miles, it should still be fun.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I apologize for delayed reporting, but the 4 day/3 night road trip to, around & from Joshua Tree in early May was a great by all accounts and we accumulated almost 350 miles.

Then yesterday I cruised down to and through Tenaja Truck & Los Alamos Truck Trails* in Cleveland Nat'l Forest which turned out to be amazingly lush and colorful due to recent heavy rains. 114 miles accomplished.

And since this "lushness" in that wilderness is something I've never seen before, I will go back next weekend with my wife and use an onboard video recorder to capture the scenery as it might take a long time to experience/see it again (I wouldn't be surprised it will burn up once all that overgrown vegetation dries up 😟). 

* These are single lane fire roads with several miles of heavy potholes, so not suitable of low ground clearance vehicles (not a problem with my PB Roadster), lots of twists and turns on steep hillsides and due to heavy/high vegetation visibility is even more limited than normally, so speed at times must be kept at 5-10 mph, but the scenery makes it all worth a while.

I did encounter couple of late model/new SUVs with seemingly inexperienced drivers, so one has to keep a lookout for those too. 🙄

• Like 1

Couple of obligatory photos from recent drives/trips.

Here’s my friend and his wife cruising through Joshua Tree in my Roadster:

E9CAC566-0762-46C6-9345-D87B76688628.png

ECA6A71F-6D2F-4E04-8B19-A10DEC08D5E7.jpeg

Me and the Roadster on Tenaja Truck Trail in Cleveland Nat’l Forest last Sunday 8 am:

45A9BD14-6D0F-46A6-8425-F2899E23617F.png

P.S. I just realized I started this thread 5 years ago.
I wonder how many miles & trips I/we have accomplished since.

I had hoped there would’ve been more interesting experiences/stories shared by others, but I guess people just don’t enjoy their vintage cars by driving them that much. ☹️

• Like 2