1926 Studebaker Big Six - folding windshield

JRA

Hello ,

I am looking for pictures or any information regarding the folding windshield for 1926 Studebaker Big Six, sports roadster, model EP. The car is missing the bottom part of windshield, as can be seen in the pictures. I am also looking for the dashboard inspection light assembly, a picture of it or the actual part for sale. In addition, I want to buy a disc wheel, 19” 6 lugs, for this car.

Any detailed pictures for this model will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Julio

BDE8BB3E-587D-43C7-893F-185D09E3DE74.jpeg

2132596F-AEE7-4A53-ACA6-058AB46BC8B6.jpeg

1DFF00CC-28A5-4819-B900-A8F13A948C6D.jpeg

E7A44447-8D1E-4A2B-A78E-D203E8208B1A.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello Guys! Any potential help here? I am open to suggestions or references about how I should rebuild this windshield. Many thanks! Julio

I'm not sure what you have there, but it doesn't look correct. The channel just below the windshield frame on the cowl indicates that something was bolted there, most likely a windshield frame. Also, the posts appear to have a crack near the hinge that may have occurred from compressing the posts you have to meet that windshield. The original windshield would never have had that huge gap between the glass and the cowl. I would suggest researching other open big sixes and get the correct windshield.

Frank

Thanks, Oldford. The posts seem to be right for the model, but the windshield frame is not correct. It was an attempt of previous owner.

The pictures I got from 1925/1926 Studebaker roadsters are just fixed posts windshield examples, not folding.

I have seen some factory pictures showing the folding windshield option, but without enough detail of the frame, unfortunately. 
Only roadsters had this option apparently, once the Studebaker duplex phaeton body was not exactly an open car.

These factory photos cover 1926 and 1927 models. Common habit of many running changes during these years, so it seems to be difficult to be exact on originality for such car..

image.jpeg.b456766ce841596bbd5370c3b42dcefa.jpegimage.jpeg.8dbab3309b49952c6c8f2a743f4786eb.jpegimage.jpeg.fd8d0600a7b56bcd644faa83adcd6454.jpeg

I didn't have much but memory to add at first. And the OP pictures don't show it very well. But I absolutely agree that it looks as though the windshield glass frame does not fit the stanchions or the car. It appears as though the stanchions have been forced to hold the glass frame. And the glass frame looks more bulky than a 1926 Studebaker would have used. Also, the glass frame extends below the lower hinge pin, which I suspect is incorrect.

The photos posted by JRA give some clues to what the glass frame should look like, and maybe a lower panel below the upper glass? Or not? (Thank you JRA!)

There should be more photos on the internet to show what is needed?

Somewhere, someone should have a proper Studebaker windshield hanging on a wall. However, if you cannot find or get it? You may need to make the missing frameworks (I have done this a couple times.). This is actually not very difficult. Find and choose some common frame from a more common era car. Something you can get two or three of. The model T Ford actually has several style frames used over more than ten years and both open and closed body styles. 1920s era closed model Ts used a frame that lends itself well to bigger and more expensive automobiles. I usually braze such pieces, however a modern wire-feed welder may work well also (I don't have one!). Sort out good solid sections of the windshield, cut, bend, and weld to your heart's content! It can be a little tricky, but heating and bending gentle curves to match the curve of the cowl isn't all that difficult either.

Provided the stanchions haven't been too badly damaged? It should be possible to make the whole thing look and work great!

• Thanks 1

I spent some time with Mr. google looking at Studebaker roadsters.

JRA's original post in 2019 appears to show forward folding windshield stanchions. The photos he added a couple years later also show Studebaker roadsters with forward folding windshield stanchions. One photo may be or not a folding stanchion? (Although I think it is a folding stanchion.)

Brian Z's photo appears to show fixed stanchions (Beautiful car by the way!!!). Most of the 1926 and '27 Studebaker roadsters Mr. Google shared with me appeared to also have fixed stanchions. So the option of a folding stanchion windshield appears to be not very common. But it sure does look sporty!

The question becomes "How was the framework configured?" One photo appears to show a separate panel below the squared windshield glass frame. The other photos (could be the same different car?) don't really show the bottom of the framework at all. Most of the apparent folding stanchion pictures I saw on google appeared to have a singular windshield glass frame with a curved bottom to match the cowl. That would complicate making a frame to fit as folding the stanchion could cause the frame to hit the cowl if care was not being taken.

Just a couple observations.

More pictures need to be seen. In better sizes than Mr. G wanted me to see.

Thanks, Wayne. The two holes on the botton piece of my car windshield posts seem to be original, as you can see in the picture above, and would imply a fixed botton piece of the windshield. 

Unfortunately I could not find a detailed picture of this botton panel. Would it be all metal? Or any colored glass? Would it be painted Black or body color? 
The previous owner was a very old car collector I had the pleasurre to meet. He was born in 1926 as the car, and he mentioned the need to build a fixed botton piece, and his memory from the past would indicate it was made of steel and dark green glass. Is it right? He bought the car in late 1960s without the windshield frame.

I wish I knew the answers to that. Although I have had two vintage Studebakers over my years (a 1915 touring and a 1925 coach), I am far from being a Studebaker expert. I did try some google searching, but I am far from being good at conning google into finding what I want to see. Computers and I don't get along very well.

Best that I do not get into my opinions of the computer generation.

None of the images I did see gave definitive information on the design or construction of that lower section. Most images were too small (thumbnails only), some better images were from the wrong angle to show much. From what I could see, some roadsters did have a fixed panel below a squared framework. Others apparently had a full frame with a curved bottom to match the cowl. I did not see much to indicate year models that would help in knowing which your car should have. Although given that it does have folding stanchions, that part of the question appears to have been answered. I did notice that several restored 1929 Studebaker Presidents did have the full frame with the curve to match the cowl on folding stanchions. However I doubt that helps you much. As far as fixed lower panels go, I did not find anything that was close-up enough to tell how it was made or what it may have been made of.

There should be good enough pictures out there on the internet that would help. Finding them?

It occurred to me, that if you do need to modify a common windshield frame to work for your Studebaker? A model A Ford windshield might be closer to shape and be easier to modify. You would still need to resize and reshape, but it may be easier to do with the model A's shape to begin with (especially if you do need the curved bottom?). A little creativity can go a long way when needing unobtainable parts. The common model A and model T pieces simply become the raw material to make the part needed.

Of course, the best thing would be to get that elusive hanging-on-the-wall windshield that needs a car to be installed upon. But if you cannot find one? It can be surprising how that creativity can provide a needed non-existent part.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Brian Z said:

This is the windshield160151341_IMGP6754-1926Studebaker.jpg.c231a51497b56d80f433880631cf2818.jpg on our 26 Big Six EP Roadster.

Are these internal mouldings (door tops) and Dashboard made of real wood, or are they woodgrain paint?

This may well be of no assistance at all but I have a cowl and windscreen posts and the remains of the windscreen frame off a 28 Chrysler 72 sports roadster and it used a similar style set up as what is in one of JRA photos so I thought I would share a couple of pictures the bottom frame is fixed and of steel construction any way photos probably explains better. Anyway thought and throw it out there in case it helps. Cheers Ben0CEA1E4B-C173-4A1E-8AE2-E06BCCF227EA.jpeg.f5d5e2b80efb20e0f6066d799b460855.jpegC2340897-C00C-4FF0-80F5-A0A62D73827B.jpeg.a847641012a40899a383ddf978b98104.jpeg

9 hours ago, Vintageben said:

This may well be of no assistance at all but I have a cowl and windscreen posts and the remains of the windscreen frame off a 28 Chrysler 72 sports roadster and it used a similar style set up as what is in one of JRA photos so I thought I would share a couple of pictures the bottom frame is fixed and of steel construction any way photos probably explains better. Anyway thought and throw it out there in case it helps. Cheers Ben0CEA1E4B-C173-4A1E-8AE2-E06BCCF227EA.jpeg.f5d5e2b80efb20e0f6066d799b460855.jpegC2340897-C00C-4FF0-80F5-A0A62D73827B.jpeg.a847641012a40899a383ddf978b98104.jpeg

What was used fill the botton frame: glass or painted sheetmetal?

6 hours ago, JRA said:

What was used fill the botton frame: glass or painted sheetmetal?

It’s appear to be painted sheet metal but fairly thick. If you jump over to the Chrysler section there a topic titled Chrysler 72 Sports Roadster windscreen variations or something of that sound, I posted a lot more details there, that may help. I would post the link to it here but I don’t know how. Any way be interested to see if this is at all helpful. Cheers Ben

Edited by Vintageben
Had extra info (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Still looking for pictures, examples, references of any kind to the bottom part of windshield frame of my 1926 Studebaker Big Six EP roadster. I am now dedicating time to the restoration of the mechanical parts, so I am starting to remove the body from the frame, in order to clear space for the work.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

thanks

JRA

82AB9CD0-9079-4347-8663-18AD61A1CE9D.jpeg

B1AB16B8-AFC8-41AA-B06F-B8AC06FDE933.jpeg

240B3CDC-A3EB-4BB6-944A-566C526C6115.jpeg

2D0CDE3A-5B45-43EF-B080-5DC3BFE83DDC.jpeg