1910 or so Automobile - Another Mystery

Steve Hagy

Hi Gang,

I searching for my usual information.  Make, model and year of this early fire chief's auto.  In playing with the image in Photoshop it appears that the radiator emblem has a large "S" in the center.  There is also a name around the base of the hub caps however I couldn't read any of the lettering.  I just know someone is going to identify this beauty!  As always, thank you for your comments.

Fire chief with a star.jpg

Unlike many of the early cars with Mercedes-inspired radiators at least Stoddard-Dayton put a distinctive shape on the front of theirs, which helps identification.

The car Keiser used as an example is their smaller 30 hp. I think the mystery car is a bigger one. There was a 40 hp on a 120" wheelbase or a 50 hp on a 130" wheelbase, and I reckon it is the larger 50 hp.

• Like 1

Actually the "distinctive" features on the front of the radiator were not exclusive to Stoddard. The flip top cap, points in the sloping upper tank ( pointing toward the center of the radiator), figure 8 patches over the meeting of the top tank to the vertical sides and other details are features of Kinwood Radiator the manufacturer of the radiator. The same features can be seen on Lexington and other make of cars that also purchased their radiators from Kinwood.  

Lexington 1910 Glidden Tour .jpg

37 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

The thing that is really interesting about the Stoddard Dayton is the engine. They all make noise, but the Stoddard is one of the few that is fun to watch. Bob 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Stoddard+Dayton+engine+running&&view=detail&mid=43534B37F3FC5EE62D0443534B37F3FC5EE62D04&rvsmid=8C2553F51670B4A3F7DA8C2553F51670B4A3F7DA&FORM=VDQVAP

Not a Stoddard but even more entertaining is this one of Mark Walker had cranking the 25 litre 1905 Darracq V8 at Chateau Impney hill climb.  The car with its engine running next to it is a Lorraine-Dietrich.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=darracq+v8+engine+running&&view=detail&mid=2B162F9E982CA11E47162B162F9E982CA11E4716&&FORM=VRDGAR

• Thanks 1