1923 Durant Star Distributor

Kenny D

Looking for an Autolite distributor for my 23 Durant Star. It is generator powered. The generator also powers the water pump. The generator number is GJ 4014. Any parts or conversion information would be helpful. I do not have a number   It currently has a early Delco in it with a backyard installation. Car has 8063 miles on it. Worth finding an original. Thanks Kenny

Interesting things: In Hollanders

GJ4014 is  for a 1924-25 Flint   6-40

Armature is GJ2161  and cut out for generator GJ4014 is CB4009

Any other verifying info you may have to be sure what is sleeping in your garage?

a 1922 to 25  Durant gen  is  : GH1036

First Star  listed  is  1925

What are numbers motor, distributor, starter other????

Hi Kenny. Let me know if this is what you are looking for. It is in one of my trucks in the middle of Washington  state. Headless now. Would take me some time as I am swamped right now. Where are you located  ?   -  Carl 

98D91B1B-9B45-4F64-B98F-C0D347E53F1E.jpeg

26C35BBF-AB0C-4D26-B57E-9C546241F00C.jpeg

14 hours ago, C Carl said:

Hi Kenny. Let me know if this is what you are looking for. It is in one of my trucks in the middle of Washington  state. Headless now. Would take me some time as I am swamped right now. Where are you located  ?   -  Carl 

98D91B1B-9B45-4F64-B98F-C0D347E53F1E.jpeg

26C35BBF-AB0C-4D26-B57E-9C546241F00C.jpeg

Hello Carl Look like what I need. Interested in distributor and water pump drive and shaft pieces. My # 860-559-0437 East Hartford, CT  Thx

Didn't know Billy D's engine tags didn't show Cont'l model ID on tag...old parts catalogs list several engines for varios 23 Stars...

Look at any letters/numbers cast, embossed, stamped, like  those on the head...you're looking for W4, W5, 6Y, 7U or something similar somewhere in numbers/letters...

OOPS---CORRECTION??---6Y and 7U are 6s per Cont'l engine sections , altho listed as 4s in parts catalogs...seems unlikely engine issued as first a 4 and then a six, so probably an error copied into later catalogs...so looks like probably W4 0r W5...

Edited by Bud Tierney
Correction?? (see edit history)

Then will this number also be on my headless engine somewhere  ?

I should emphasize that it will probably be just a few weeks before I am back out at the ranch. Therefore, if anyone else can help Kenny sooner, have a go at it. I an on opposite coasts from Kenny, therefore, perhaps a neighbor might be able to help. 

Willing, able, but not quite ready,    -    Carl 

KENNY---Bummer---looks like W4 and W5 almost exclusively used by Durant products Durant and Star, except for a few used by the Baldwin Gleaner/Gleaner Combine, at least per my catalogs...that combine is listed for the 1929 10-11 foot cut model using both W4 and W5, which could easily have different setups...

An equally nebulous possibility is the Cont'l H 4cyl series---H1, H6, H7, H8, H9, all listed in a 52 McCord Tractor and Industrial gasket guide as using the same set of gaskets, implying considerable similarities...but here, again, these Hs show very few listings, and no familiar names...

C CARL---there should be something similar on yours; let me know what you find, as there wers several headless Contl's...

Hi Bud. Actually, as you can  see, this engine lost its head during a fairly recent event. Evidently this is a W5 as per what is written on the exhaust manifold. Does this have any implications regarding Kenny's needs on his W4 ? Thank you for being "The Source" for so much Continental information. Did this authority come to you through your professional career in some way, or is it from hobby interest ?   -   Carl 

D3EC8AEE-334F-44CC-8A5D-5B8D3CA8C04D.jpeg

Sorry, no personal interest other than hobby; a recurring regret is that I didn't compile a file of pictures in the process, so almost all my info is from the printed pages of parts catalogs and these forums...

A water pump parts listing (March 1936 KIng Prod) shows the W4 and H8 with a 47/8 shaft, while the W5 and H6 take a 51/32 shaft...

No front bushing is listed, but impeller, rear bushing, packing nut and impeller pin are the came..which doesn't help wit the question if the housings will interchange or the distributors  usable on his...

Water pump info:

Star C,F,4 Cyl,. 1922-26 ......Shaft  WS133 .......Impeller  WI-44.......Pack nut  B165....Bushing  B593..

/////////////////

Shaft:  WS133  

Star C,F.......1922-26.......5/8  Large DIA.......4 13/16 Lng...

Continental  W4, W6 .......5/8  Large DIA.......4 13/16  Lng...

///////////

Impeller: WI-44

Star C, F, M,.........................1922-28 

Continental H6, H8, W4, W5, 6Y

Durant M2, M4, 40..............1928-29

///////////////////

Pack nut:  Star C, F, M, R  and lots of others

On 4/18/2019 at 5:08 PM, Hans1 said:

Water pump info:

Star C,F,4 Cyl,. 1922-26 ......Shaft  WS133 .......Impeller  WI-44.......Pack nut  B165....Bushing  B593..

/////////////////

Shaft:  WS133  

Star C,F.......1922-26.......5/8  Large DIA.......4 13/16 Lng...

Continental  W4, W6 .......5/8  Large DIA.......4 13/16  Lng...

///////////

Impeller: WI-44

Star C, F, M,.........................1922-28 

Continental H6, H8, W4, W5, 6Y

Durant M2, M4, 40..............1928-29

///////////////////

Pack nut:  Star C, F, M, R  and lots of others

Hey Hans, Kenny here. Do you have the Autolite distributor gear number for the 23 Star W4 ? Thanks

Kenny,

The original distributor on generator GJ-4014 was Auto-Lite IG-4030A (used on 1922-24 Star Models C and 1924 Model F).

The distributor was also used on AL Generator GT-4001, 1925 Star Model F. AL Distributor IG 4036D and IG-4067A would probably work too.

I don't think I have a distributor in stock but I might be able to help you out with a good pot metal distributor drive housing.

I could also provide you with conversion information if needed.

Pete