Door hinge pins

On my 28 standard six, are the hinge pins just really stuck or are they peened over and that's why they won't move? I have them soaking in penetrating oil right now. Can't use heat, don't want to ruin the paint. There's nothing wrong with them, I want to install hinge pin mirrors and want to get them moving before ordering the mirrors

Thanks

There is actually a tool to remove those pesky hinge pins. Without the tool, you may never get them out without drilling them out. Here is AN EXAMPLE ONLY, but for Fords....https://www.eastwood.com/door-hinge-pin-puller.html?SRCCODE=PLA00020&gclid=CjwKCAjwhbHlBRAMEiwAoDA341VGrJ8Uz_oq41P8kl3eyYZ71Gwg6vnG-FACWUKZParmMsMzvYI_ZxoCPlUQAvD_BwE

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I saw those. The issue is the head of the hinge pin covers the whole top of the hinge. Nowhere to mount the tool, it would just push on both ends of the pin. I guess I will see tomorrow after they soak for 24 hours. Will continue to look at other tools and see if something might work

You may have to try to put a thin piece of steel between the head of the pin and the top of the hinge. Then use a Dremel tool and grind the head of the hinge off. Then you might be able to use one of those tools. Can you post a photo of the situation?

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

When I did this on my 27, I used a C clamp, and set it at an angle to allow the pin to be pushed out, and not damage anything.  The mirrors were purchased from Le Baron Bonney, a Model A parts supplier.  A lot of their product is the same as Dodge Brothers.  Good Luck!  27dodger0

3 hours ago, David_Leech said:

I can't see anything

That is what I am finding, but I think it is because of the size, not the mounting system. They don't vibrate like spare wheel mounted mirrors.

By hanging a cloth over them in the garage (e.g. an old tea towel) I have considerably reduced how often I bump them. I learned this trick from a forum member here.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Tie rod end press was the perfect size. The drivers side popped up and I finished it off with a punch. The passenger side, yah, not so easy. I had to press it out the whole way. A series of longer and longer M6 bolts were used with the press. Both are out now. There was zero wear to either pin. The drivers side can be reused if needed, the passenger side was pretty much destroyed

• Like 2

18 hours ago, David_Leech said:

. Both are out now. There was zero wear to either pin. The drivers side can be reused if needed, the passenger side was pretty much destroyed

You will probably need pins that are a bit longer.

It looks like they might be supplied by the looks of your picture.

Wouldn't it be great if they are the correct diameter.

• 2 weeks later...

The mirrors came in today. They are very close to fitting over the hinge but just a bit too small to do it. There isn't much material I can grind off the mirrors, I might have to take a hair off the hinges. I will have to see when I have time to work at them properly. The pins they came with are also too narrow and the set screws are too close to the center, but this can be resolved. Cost too much to send them back and try again, they will work ok.

Little off the topic but I’ve been finding my mirrors a bit useless, they don’t give a whole lot of reflection of the side of the car. I hunted down some 96mm blind spot mirrors and stuck them on. The difference is just awesome I can see every part of the side of the car from top to bottom. I’ve been using my chrome headlight to look for cars next to me more than the old flat mirror. 

I like the convex mirror idea. I agree they are great. Once mounted, I will see how these work. I may have to find some convex mirror heads I like. 

Dropped my mirror arms off at a friend's fab shop to have them built up a bit. I didn't really like how close the hinge pin holes were to the edge. He is going to TIG weld around the mount to build them up for me. He has made a few custom parts for me to go on the Dodge

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 8:45 PM, David_Leech said:

These are what I have chosen. I don't like the chrome ones. They look cheap and tacky. I don't know if these are really any better, but they don't stand out as much. 7" arms with 5" mirrors. Of a 30-31 AA Ford

64-21928-A1.jpg

64-21928.jpg

I have been thinking of adding a set of mirrors to my 1927 Buick Model 27, the only thing I have at the moment, besides me looking w my own eyes over my shoulders, is the TWO rear view mirrors that need to be resilvered that were mounted inside the car when I purchased it last Summer.

Reading through everyone’s ideas and comments, which I always find invaluable, i was wondering if someone could drill down through the door hinge pin and then mount a mirror in place like above and use the pin included with the mirrors as shown to mount and secure the mirror?  Might take someone machining** a new low profile door hinge pin w a low profile head on it or even a mirror arm!

**I know from experience that working with a real machinist is not cheap and cost can far exceed the idea one had in mind when they set out to do the modification!!

I am an avid motorcyclist and a few years ago I wanted to mount (correctly) a set of led turn signal mirrors from a Ducati 1098 onto my Suzuki TL1000R so having a machinist machine two “approx” one inch thick by two and half inch aluminum adapter blocks to change the mounting style of the Ducati mirrors to interface with the Suzuki, and while I don’t regret it NOW and they look fantastic, at the time I nearly ran off the road when the machinist told me how much the cost was to make them.  $260 USD before I powder coated them and purchased the factory mirrors!  That’s a lot for a 1 X 2.5 inch aluminum block, well for two of them...  but again I don’t regret it one bit now as I love them, I love the look, it updates the bike, the guys in our motorcycle group of enthusiasts for THIS bike love them and that’s all cool!  But at the time I thought “what the hell was I thinking!!!”

but hey, cash 💰 💴 💵  can get just about anything to mount on anything else and look factory when doing so!!!  Just takes a little cold hard cashola!!!

9 hours ago, David_Leech said:

I like the convex mirror idea. I agree they are great. Once mounted, I will see how these work. I may have to find some convex mirror heads I like. 

Dropped my mirror arms off at a friend's fab shop to have them built up a bit. I didn't really like how close the hinge pin holes were to the edge. He is going to TIG weld around the mount to build them up for me. He has made a few custom parts for me to go on the Dodge

This is what I bought and stuck it on the original mirror. 

3D12EA48-2110-4C80-8897-BC9196756231.jpeg

1A34EA08-B185-4DCD-AEE3-790D8F252BD9.jpeg