Heater switch, dash lamp switch ‘38

rodneybeauchamp

Hi,

looking for the heater control switch for my ‘38 Special.

Does this fit into one of the holes in the dash board that are blanked over with a chrome plated cover (round). Or are they for the radio?

Also wanted the two position slide switch that operates the dash lamps and the map reading lamp.

thanks in advance

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

The holes you are talking about sound like radio knob holes to me. 

As far as I know the heater switch should attach to the bottom of the dash rail. It would have originally been a switch something like this ark-les switch as shown in this ebay link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30s-40s-50s-Vintage-Car-NOS-Ark-Les-12-Volt-Heater-Switch-with-Box-Hot-Rod/382869040312?hash=item5924c5ecb8:g:V34AAOSw~-ZcnS1K&frcectupt=true 

I can look. I might have a spare dash lamp switch. In all honesty, any two position slide (or even a toggle) switch would work. I think shipping an original switch to you would likely cost more than you could probably buy a similar modern switch for locally.

Don,

Do you happen to know the type of switch used originally and/or perhaps have a photo? All that I have ever seen use the underdash ark-less switches. I assume they were used commonly to add a heater switch later. I think the ark-less switch, minus the underdash bracket, would fit in the hole you are referring to, but I have more commonly seen that hole used to add a push button starter switch. 

There is some information on those switches in the old Torque Tubes. I dont think they discuss whether they were variable speed switches like the ark-less

The ark-less switches fit fine in the holes. That si what i have in my cars, however, the light is almost impossible to see.

You can just barely see them in this bad photo, on the left

DSCN2266.JPG

Thanks Don for the photo. So from what I can see, it just fits under the dashboard and not at the front, like the light switch. If that is the case, I have something I can use until I find something more suitable. ( The Arkless looks suitable only for 12Volt according to the sellers blurb)

22 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I can look. I might have a spare dash lamp switch. In all honesty, any two position slide (or even a toggle) switch would work. I think shipping an original switch to you would likely cost more than you could probably buy a similar modern switch for locally.

And Matthew, let me know if you do have one in good condition. My mechanic broke mine but I have repaired it with Weldbond for now.

I gave him a good talking to and a stern warning to be more careful! 😢😢😢😢😢 So just in case it fails again, a spare is always handy. And it is a Buick, so any old switch wouldn’t be appropriate!

cheers

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

22 hours ago, MCHinson said:

The holes you are talking about sound like radio knob holes to me. 

Matthew,

Did you also happen to have a correct boot light and switch for the ‘38?

Rodney,

I think that ebay seller just wrote the text without knowing much about what he was selling. I think that ark-les switch would be fine for 6 volts. I don't think they specifically made one of that vintage rated for only 12 volts. If that seller's text scares you off, how about this one, if you can forgive him thinking it only fits Chevrolets:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-6-Volt-Heater-Switch-1949-1954-80-251996-1/173830605528?hash=item28791c8ad8:g:FTsAAOSwgX9chUDD

You are going to have to give me an Austrailian English to American English translation: What is a Boot light? If you mean trunk light, I don't think they exist. It may have been an option but neither of my cars or the couple of other parts cars that I have owned had trunk lights. 

On my 1939 Roadmaster, I have two switches mounted on the bottom of the dash.  The left one operates the Trippe lights; the right one operates the heater. They maybe aftermarket, but they are definitely period Art Deco/Moderne. They don't light up.

IMG_20190403_181937518.jpg

12 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Ouch! I’m only looking for a spare so will give his a miss!

12 minutes ago, BuickBob49 said:

On my 1939 Roadmaster, I have two switches mounted on the bottom of the dash.  The left one operates the Trippe lights; the right one operates the heater. They maybe aftermarket, but they are definitely period Art Deco/Moderne. They don't light up.

IMG_20190403_181937518.jpg

Bob,

they look the bees knees, so will keep searching the swaps until I find something similar. Now I know it is not a Buick specific switch, I don’t have to worry about the points deductions. 😀😀😀😀😀

many thanks to all

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

13 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Rodney,

I think that ebay seller just wrote the text without knowing much about what he was selling. I think that ark-les switch would be fine for 6 volts. I don't think they specifically made one of that vintage rated for only 12 volts. If that seller's text scares you off, how about this one, if you can forgive him thinking it only fits Chevrolets:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-6-Volt-Heater-Switch-1949-1954-80-251996-1/173830605528?hash=item28791c8ad8:g:FTsAAOSwgX9chUDD

You are going to have to give me an Austrailian English to American English translation: What is a Boot light? If you mean trunk light, I don't think they exist. It may have been an option but neither of my cars or the couple of other parts cars that I have owned had trunk lights. 

Matthew, you are correct. In Australia boot = trunk. Possibly from English automotive terminology. I thought I read something somewhere that it was an accessory, but might be mistaken. Am still interested in the dash switch if you have.

I think you may be correct. There may have been an accessory trunk light. I have never seen one. I will do my best to look and see if I can find a spare dash light switch. I think I may have one, but I am not sure. 

The heater motor ran so quietly in my '37 that I had to install a small LED light to tell me when it was on. The heater knob does have a light bulb but in daylight it can't be seen and even at night its very difficult to see. The LED is in a place that only the driver can see.

• Haha 1