1964 Riviera Steering wheel removal

Kosnmotion

Have you bought the shop manual. Thought I would ask before Joe P. asks....😉

Where are you stumped? Can't get the horn button off to get to the nut?

• Haha 2

Loosen the nut, put knees tight under the wheel, push up hard and hit the nit with a hammer.  The shop manual says different but hundreds of GM "technicians" did it this way.  Save a walk to the tool crib and usually worked.

3 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Loosen the nut, put knees tight under the wheel, push up hard and hit the nit with a hammer.  The shop manual says different but hundreds of GM "technicians" did it this way.  Save a walk to the tool crib and usually worked.

And if everyone jumped off a bridge...

Sorry, but just because someone else does something half-fast is no reason to emulate them.

• Like 1

I used to try that in used parts emporium yards. Broke steering wheels several times. Must be a west coast no rust thing.

I use a harmonic balancer puller with long bolts. One tool instead of two to own.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Must be a west coast no rust thing.

Actually it was common in most GM dealerships, in a major city 20 miles east of the center of the continent, in the 40's 50's and 60's until the collapsible columns came in.

• 10 months later...
52 minutes ago, Bikemike6459 said:

How does the horn bar come off ?

Not familiar with that particular one, but if there are no screws on the windshield side of the steering wheel to hold the bar on, try to twist the horn bar to the left a little. It may just lift straight off after turning. DON'T FORCE IT. If it looks like this one, there looks to be two screws on the back side holding the bar on....

Riv wheel.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

If it looks like this one, you have to remove the horn button and remove the three screws to take the bar off....looks like it may even be UNDER the wheel in which case, you may have to remove the whhel first.

1964 Riv wheel.JPG

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Zimm63 said:

Take the four screws out shown in the picture above.  

What four screws in what picture?

After you remove the plate held on by the four clutch screws, you will see the two holes to screw the bolts from the puller into.  Loosen the center nut that holds the steering wheel to the shaft and run it up to cover the top of the treads on the shaft to protect them.  You want to keep the nut on but loose to keep the wheel from hitting you in the face when it come off.   I don't think the splines on this wheel are indexed, so you should mark the wheel and shaft for alignment when you put it back on.   

Inked1963 Buick Steering Wheel Puller Holes.jpg

• Like 1

Guys, I must apologize for the time lapse but I did figure out the horn bar with the 2 screws on the back side. My 40 year old steering wheel puller worked fine after that. Only problem now is my LeCarra wheel adapter won’t allow for the horn operation...thank you all for the responses. 

• 1 year later...