1940s Bean Wheel Balancer Tire Changer with table - works, Value?

basscaster

Bought this in an estate sale from a lifetime car guy. I have only been able to find one reference to this online, and it is a pic or the same exact model in a museum in Canada. This one actually works, and has a Black and Decker attachment.

I can't find any other info on it. Anyone know of possible value on it? I'm considering a trade or sale, based in the North Texas area.

Thanks

bean1.jpg

bean2.jpg

bean3.jpg

bean4.jpg

bean5.jpg

bean6.jpg

Neat  find, probably garage art and almost no one will want it for balancing. There are a few crazy people like me who would enjoy the challenge of using it as intended. I just bought a complete and working 50’s Snap On balancer last month for 200 bucks, and I intend to use it tomorrow for the first time. Doesn’t look anywhere near as cool..........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Why don't you look into some antique tool clubs and see what they say about it's worth.

www.mwtca.org - - Midwest Tool Collectors Association

www.craftsofnj.org - Collectors of Rare and Familiar Tools Society  JOIN NOW!

www.earlyamericanindustries.org - Early American Industry Association

www.pasttools.org - Preserving Arts and Skills of the Trades

www.patinatools.org - Potomac Antique Tools and Industries Association

www.tooltimer.com/PNTC.htm - Pacific Northwest Tool Collectors

ATTIC - Antique Tools and Trades In Connecticut - President: Phone: (203) 453-4281

https://sites.google.com/site/ohiotool/- Ohio Tool Collectors Association

• Like 1

Good suggestion about the collectors groups. However many of these groups will be primarily focused on early hand tools.  A good number of the people interested in vintage automotive tools will be the same group of people that are interested in vintage cars.  So this forum is also a very good resource . 

As far as demand {price} is concerned I would suspect a good percentage of potential buyers would want it for its functional purpose as much as its aesthetics. Objects like this have a limited demand from people looking to set up a period garage display however many people just don't have the room for non functional "décor" objects like this.  On the other hand if you include the people who can see a tool that might actually be used once or twice a year I think the group of potential buyers enlarges quite a bit. 

It's also a bulky, heavy object and as such is most likely limited to potential buyers in your local area. Most likely there are very few potential buyers that would consider paying for shipping on an object like this, so you may be at a disadvantage depending on where you live.

Personally it's the sort of thing that if I saw it reasonably cheap at a local swap meet there is a good chance that I would try to swing a deal. But it would have to be a at a price that was say less than the cost of 10 or 15 balances at my local tire store. In that case the economics would possibly make sense. How much is a balance at your local shop ? I am also a person who has my own tire machine and who does the majority of my tire work myself. So a machine like yours would actually be useful to me. But as Ed says above $200.00 for a Snap On sounds like a top rung price to me. In my experience Snap On tools will almost always sell at a premium compared to other brands. Often as much as double.

Greg in Canada

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I sold one of those bubble balancers at a swap meet last month that looked and worked like new. Even had the original manual.

Got $50 .Could have been worth more but I had no bites at $100 the last two times I drug it out.

yes, it is probably suitable as garage art, but I like the fact that it works. Would probably be unwieldy for actual use, when compared to other options. I have seen parts for it on sale, but still haven't found a full unit in working condition. The only one I found is in a museum that keeps examples of old machinery.