ROCKER ARM ASSEMBLY PROBLEM

steamgas

Keep at it, it`s probably just "krud" buildup on the shaft. Lay every piece out so you can put everything back on the shaft in the same place. When re-mounting the assembly to the head be sure to use a thread sealer on the short tower bolts, otherwise oil will eventually seep past the threads and oil will puddle around the spark plugs..

7 hours ago, steamgas said:

thank you very much sir. i overhauled a 1940 engine several years ago and had no problems. i thought maybe the Buick engineers have changed things since then. would it help to apply a little heat to it?

The front (OOPS, 2nd tower has a set screw on top. Be careful with the heat, towers are not steel.

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

The front tower has a set screw on top. Be careful with the heat, towers are not steel.

Yep.  The towers/pedestal is aluminium. It needs to become warm, to expand, while the shaft stays as cool as possible. A little twisting around the shaft ,back and forth, goes a long way

Ben

13 hours ago, steamgas said:

i have a 1952 Buick engine 263 Ci. inline 8 cyl. i started to disassemble the rocker arm assembly and ran into a problem right at the start.

i can not get the alum.pedestal to slide off the shaft at all. can someone please tell me what i am doing wrong?

IMG_20190218_182323_329.jpg

just pull a rocker arm back against the spring let it go and it'll snap the stand off.

• Like 1

Ah, built in hammer!

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

Try it ...you will like it. :) 

Worked for me way more than once. Kind of intuitive.  An in line spring driven weight (hammer), guaranteed to strike the tower squarely,  with a repeatable impact force  and just begging to be used. Easy peasy........................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1