Nice Car Badge Collection being sold on eBay

Gunsmoke

5 hours ago, murrayjohn said:

Hi Folks 

Sorry to come in late to this conversation but for those who were interested to see anoriginal Howard emblem, I attach photos of the only two Howard emblems from my son's collection. The one on eBay recently was certainly a repro.

Incidentally, I am having a lot of trouble getting help with some Canadian emblems to go on my website (www.americanautoemblems.com). Is there anyone here from Canada who might offer to help? If so please email me and I will be in touch (murraysbadges@gmail.com).

Howard DSC09850 78w 53h.JPG

Howard DSC09852 44mm.JPG

Could we see pictures of the back sides on these? thanks.

Welcome to the Forum - I just send you an email about the forum but it looks like you've mastered it nicely.  Thanks for the great photos of the genuine Howard emblem!  Your collection is one of the finest existing and I'm sure you'll get some great help with the Canadian emblems here.   Look forward to seeing you again in Hershey.

Terry

I live in Canada and I generally see very few Canadian badges. Mind you I am in Western Canada so pretty remote from the center of the Canadian universe {Ontario and Quebec}.

Even McLaughlin badges rarely cross my path, in fact I wouldn't mind having a spare one for my 1918 E-45 Special. I will keep my eyes open.

If you ever come across anything Staver - Chicago I am always interested. And it will actually go on a car , not a display case.

I also have one rear hubcap for a 1910, 11, or12, 30 H.P. or 35 H.P Staver. It's nicer than the rather plain caps on my 40 H.P. project but it is too small. Having said that it is a very nice, good sized, hefty , cast brass cap. Trade only for a Staver rad badge in any original condition. As far as I know there are only 2 surviving cars that can use this cap and neither need it. So I don't mind if it goes into a hubcap collection rather than back on a car. My spare cap goes on a 4 in. thread. The 40 H.P. has a 4 1/2 in. thread

Greg in Canada

DSC_9626.JPG

DSC_9628 (2).JPG

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Terry

Yes, I have your email, thanks. I finally worked out how to get connected.

Mike

Hi Greg

Do you know anyone from the Ontario area who might be interested and knowledgeable about Canadian emblems? I am very keen to talk with someone.

Mike

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Is this original or a repro? It sold by canamericanantiques for $157.50

The usual top deal from customer focused seller. Thanks    b***o ( 2214)   During past month
     antique 1930 GRAHAM MOTOR CAR automobile badge emblem (#202613766064)    US $157.50   

The Graham is at least partially genuine, you can read the Fox makers mark on the front part through the hole in the backer but looks like the backer is a reproduction for a different emblem as the shield sits too high on the front. Also remember that the backers are usually marked just like the front on 2-piece emblems. 

As for the REO truck, I would want to hold it for an evaluation. Can’t tell if it is plated over solder there or what, but going by the sellers other items I would have discounted it as a fake without hard proof of originality before bidding. 

7 hours ago, murrayjohn said:

Hi Terry

Yes, I have your email, thanks. I finally worked out how to get connected.

Mike

Hi Greg

Do you know anyone from the Ontario area who might be interested and knowledgeable about Canadian emblems? I am very keen to talk with someone.

Mike

Hi Mike, I am afraid Ontario is 2000 miles away. Unfortunately I don't know anyone. There are several people on the forum from Ontario, someone must have an interest in early Canadian badges.

Greg

4 hours ago, TheMoneyPit said:

The Graham is at least partially genuine, you can read the Fox makers mark on the front part through the hole in the backer but looks like the backer is a reproduction for a different emblem as the shield sits too high on the front. Also remember that the backers are usually marked just like the front on 2-piece emblems. 

I think the backer may be correct based on others I have. The problem I noticed was the terrible enamel work around the graham brothers heads. Here is a Graham Paige version.

graham219.JPG

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:15 AM, murrayjohn said:

Hi Folks

Incidentally, I am having a lot of trouble getting help with some Canadian emblems to go on my website (www.americanautoemblems.com). Is there anyone here from Canada who might offer to help? If so please email me and I will be in touch (murraysbadges@gmail.com).

I am not Canadian and not an authority but I can supply photos of Canadian badges I have sold over the years and some in my collection, PM me if that would be of help.

Tex, could you please add a picture of the back of your emblem for us. 

What I noticed is that the shield on your emblem sits more vertically centered than the Graham, maybe the shield is a bit taller due to the Paige portion and they used the same backer. Either way it looks wrong as Symmetry is involved, and a lot of the reproduction items missed the small details.

5 hours ago, TheMoneyPit said:

Tex, could you please add a picture of the back of your emblem for us. 

What I noticed is that the shield on your emblem sits more vertically centered than the Graham, maybe the shield is a bit taller due to the Paige portion and they used the same backer. Either way it looks wrong as Symmetry is involved, and a lot of the reproduction items missed the small details.

Sorry do not have a pic of the back, that one was sold awhile back. I'll see if I can find another and get a photo.