1949 Roadmaster rear fender chrome moulding/trim

Flying Norwegian

I am in the process of finishing the restoration of my 49 Buick Roadmaster Rivera mod 76R that was put “on hold” 20 years ago.

The chrome “sweep spear” side trim on my Roadmaster is made of pot metal.

I have NOS or restorable pieces for everything except the trim on the rear fenders.

The rear fender trim on the 2 door Sedanet Buicks (with straight side trim) look very similar to the trim on my car.

I know the rear fender trim on these cars are made from stainless steel but I was hoping that except for that, the trim was identical.

Anybody know if I can use the side trim from the Sedanet on my car?

Thank you

Buick 5.JPG

On the Sedanet, the side molding from the door opening to the back of the car is all one piece of stainless. On the photo above, the molding begins at the front of the rear fender, and there is a separate piece that goes from the rear fender to the door opening. That separate piece is very different, since it mates up with the sweepspear on the door.  I suppose you could buy a Sedanet piece and cut it, so it does not extend beyond the rear fender, but those pieces are very hard to find. I have a set for a '49 Roadmaster Sedanet, but I paid a LOT for them, and I am saving them for when I finally own a '49 Roadmaster Sedanet someday. It would take a lot of money to get me to part with them.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

Vegard, I believe the spears from the sedanet are different.  The "peak" of the moulding on the sedanet is equidistant from the top and bottom of the moulding, whereas on the 76R pictured above, the peak is closer to the bottom.

Hello the contour on the stainless molding for a convertible is some what different than the die cast .as mentioned in other posts the rear fender mouldings are hard to find along with the rear fenders themselves.enclosed a picture of a 49 Super hope your can enlarge it enough to see.

23290CB6-19E1-4A4F-83D4-1FCEC7A0C353.jpeg

On 2/3/2019 at 9:45 AM, Pete Phillips said:

On the Sedanet, the side molding from the door opening to the back of the car is all one piece of stainless. On the photo above, the molding begins at the front of the rear fender, and there is a separate piece that goes from the rear fender to the door opening. That separate piece is very different, since it mates up with the sweepspear on the door.  I suppose you could buy a Sedanet piece and cut it, so it does not extend beyond the rear fender, but those pieces are very hard to find. I have a set for a '49 Roadmaster Sedanet, but I paid a LOT for them, and I am saving them for when I finally own a '49 Roadmaster Sedanet someday. It would take a lot of money to get me to part with them.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

Here's your car Pete!  And it's in Texas!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-Buick-Other/333055486149?hash=item4d8ba768c5:g:mlgAAOSwQqNcWQSF:rk:1:pf:1&vxp=mtr&frcectupt=true

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/3/2019 at 3:21 PM, Flying Norwegian said:

I am in the process of finishing the restoration of my 49 Buick Roadmaster Rivera mod 76R that was put “on hold” 20 years ago.

The chrome “sweep spear” side trim on my Roadmaster is made of pot metal.

I have NOS or restorable pieces for everything except the trim on the rear fenders.

The rear fender trim on the 2 door Sedanet Buicks (with straight side trim) look very similar to the trim on my car.

I know the rear fender trim on these cars are made from stainless steel but I was hoping that except for that, the trim was identical.

Anybody know if I can use the side trim from the Sedanet on my car?

Thank you

On 2/3/2019 at 3:21 PM, Flying Norwegian said:

Buick 5.JPG

Hei Vegard: Har du løst problemet ditt? Jeg har en slik rustfri list, men den må rettes. Den er et meget godt retteobjekt, ta kontakt på 91142308 hvis det er interessant.