'51 Chieftain

PhilAndrews

20210329_220129.thumb.jpg.1f6a2ca46cb62429345f705945329d02.jpg

I fitted my new gauges today. 

Tach is always useful; voltmeter goes hand in hand with the ammeter in the dash and the vacuum gauge is handy for setting the idle up amongst other things, but it's also told me by rhythmically bouncing at idle that it's time to check valve clearances again.

Phil

• Like 1

Ordered the kit from Kurt. That'll help!

20210402_112443.thumb.jpg.f533a14604dabebd4a84d8ffc2d82d39.jpg

Gave the car a wash because it was filthy from all the tree pollen.

20210402_124033.thumb.jpg.087098586bd2d595ddaefd59d5b8a519.jpg

Went for a round trip drive to see how it behaves at 55, which is a lot better without the vibrating misfire being brought on by the periodic addition of air into the manifold.

Fuel economy is also improved.

Phil

20210403_120853.thumb.jpg.2ebe7fa201902830605d9726603dfe7f.jpg

I pulled the plugs to read them since doing a few miles having fixed the vacuum leak. They aren't bad at all, fairly even and a reasonable color too.

20210403_121512.thumb.jpg.f167f40beea293b93d177208633b5e0f.jpg

While I had them out I used my new gauge and tested the compressions.

1- 115
2- 125
3- 105
4- 120
5- 125
6- 115
7- 125
8- 130

Those are all pretty good apart from #3 which I'll look at next time I have the head off, might just need the valve seats lapping in a bit better. 

Phil

3 different fuel pumps were used during these years, a AC 9630 for 6 cyl engine, a AC 9640 for 8 cyl engine, and a AC 539, 9630 & 9640 used a glass bowl, 539 used a metal bowl, 

9630 - 53-54 6 cyl.

9640 - 51-54 8 cyl. except 54 with factory air conditioning.

539 - 41-51 8 cyl. and 54 with factory air conditioning.

note, pontiac informed dealerships when replacing a 9640, if a 9640 isn't available to use the better 539 pump.

the 539 pump will have a larger fuel diaphram and pump body.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once in awhile the type of shaft you have shows up, usually in a 1955-57 pump.  I have the diaphragm with your style shaft.  Is that the only difference?  If so, let me know and I will send you the other style tomorrow.  It is hard to see if there is a size difference in your picture  KK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ha! Gotta laugh. Just got off the phone with @Kornkurt and yes, it would appear his records are correct- my pump is wrong! 

Best guess it's it's been rebuilt at some point (looks like it may have been apart and there isn't really any lash in the rocker arm) with newer parts internally.

Go figure! I'm surprised that is even the right pump for the engine at this point...

Alternate later model hybrid parts on the way, thanks again!

Phil

• Like 1

Got the return today diaphragm today, thanks!  If your wipers don't work very well with a wet windshield, the wiper needs to be rebuilt.  I would tell most people to send the wiper motor off to be rebuilt, but seeing what you have done on your car, I'm sure you can do it yourself if you can find a rebuild kit.  Let me know if you can't find one and I'll see what I can find.  

• Like 1

My wiper motor was bad; I sent it off to Ficken Wiper Service. Glad I did because the bucket was bent (looked like it had been dropped from quite a height, I was told).

It now wipes well. Still stops with my foot to the floor though.

38 minutes ago, PhilAndrews said:

Still stops with my foot to the floor though.

I remember the first time I got caught in the rain. It was an early end to a day long car show. I had never used vacuum wipers and with the down pour and traffic lights, I found myself adjusting them like crazy to keep the windshield clear on the drive home. Like you, when I would take my foot off the gas they'd go full bore or hit the gas they slow right down. I like driving on clear sunny days.....

Edited by Summershandy
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Summershandy said:

I remember the first time I got caught in the rain. It was an early end to a day long car show. I had never used vacuum wipers and with the down pour and traffic lights, I found myself adjusting them like crazy to keep the windshield clear on the drive home. Like you, when I would take my foot off the gas they'd go full bore or hit the gas they slow right down. I like driving on clear sunny days.....

Yeah, these wipe at about the same speed down to about 5"Hg., they got quite a turn of speed to them.

Quick video to show.

Need to replace the blades, they've gone all non-pliable.

Phil

Edited by PhilAndrews
Added video (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I got fed up of that whine from the fan belt, so carefully removed a fraction of an inch of depth off the bottom of the belt. Now the vent fins aren't catching in the pulley and the belt is silent.

That then highlighted all the squeaks and rattles so I spent an hour going round the car finding as many as I could and fixing them.

I need to make an adapter for my grease gun so I can grease the rear leaf springs, they creak.

In reflection though, this has become a really quite pleasant car to drive in the last few months. It's smooth and quiet. Quite luxurious.

Phil

• Like 1

20210423_085634.jpg.99cdf92d83f942df0cd91b35aba4549e.jpg

The car continues to serve well as Primary Vehicle for local trips. 

It's becoming quite well known. It's also responding well to being driven more. It really doesn't like short trips, I've done a few high speed runs in it and getting nice and hot (well, properly up to running temperature with high speed, 2000 rpm+) does it good to clean things out.

It's coming up due service too, need to do the valve lash again.

Phil

• Like 1

Hi Phil,

just spent a few hours last night and some this morning reading your entire posts and your short “ silent movies “

Really enjoying what you are doing in trying to diagnose and fix things rather than just throw money at it by changing this that and the other with no result. I’m also a believer in trying to fault find first and if possible trying to refurbish or resurrect original parts rather than use reproduction stuff. So much stuff out there is junk or doesn’t fit or doesn’t work even though it is new.

Really impressed by your courage to tackle the automatic trans rebuild, so many guys just send em out 🙁🙁🙁

Couple of things while I remember.

The silver streaks on the hood and boot lid were sometimes painted black or red by owners as a contrast or you could try to match the roof colour. Easy tryout with some electrical tape 😀

Do you have a dwell meter and a timing light as I find them invaluable for setting points. However am amazed how quickly your engine starts, that starter will live 1000 years 👌👌👌👌👌👌

Blown away by your ability to cut a key to the lock. I gotta learn that skill as I might want to do that myself 🤔🤔🤔

BTW am a Buick guy with a ‘63 Skylark convertible and ‘63 Riviera and have been down the track of some of your jobs. However I started with a ‘35 Pontiac sedan that little happened with, then a ‘67 Parisienne (Australia) as a daily drive car, then a ‘40 Silver Arrow sedan six cylinder side valve which had a tragic engine build but was sorta fun! So really enjoy looking at what you are doing here!

Lastly love your call on the past owners as “ previous keepers” as we never really own these, we are just custodians until the next person. As Neil Young would sing “This old guitar ain’t mine to keep, it’s only mine to play for a while”

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 2

Rodney,

Well, there's a couple reasons I don't just throw money at it. I don't have that much of it! I find the experience is worth the cost saved. That and you are right- there are a lot of high quality reproduction items but in contrast there are a lot which are not. At least what's on the car is a known quantity.

As for the gearbox- well, not many opportunities to pull apart a 70 year old marvel of modern engineering, are there? Also, like I mentioned above, knowing how something works both satisfies my curiosity and also serves to better understand how it works and therefore be able to repair it when it inevitably ceases working properly again.

As for the waterfalls, that's a good idea, I should try tape.

I've had a couple of cars with the cousin to the Buick 215, that's about the limit of my Buick-icity, but I'm also now entering the realms of Mopar history via Plymouth..!

Some days I'm not sure if we keep them, or they keep us but either way I'm glad you enjoyed reading.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have to say... Since fitting the new tail light lenses, I haven't had anybody behind me give the "OH HECK HE IS BRAKING!" sharp jab on the brakes.

That's a good thing. Makes me feel a little safer on the highway particularly in the long evening sun.

20210513_194424.jpg.252a7e012cd5e0dfb045811f661df235.jpg

Drive safe!

Phil

• Like 1