'51 Chieftain

PhilAndrews

Ugh, I hope you and your family are safe and well (at least as well as circumstances will allow).  She may be bumped and bruised, but those old Pontiacs are tough -- I think she'll be fine and can certainly wait until you are able to move back home and restore some semblance of normality to your life...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So far I've done nothing to the car other than pop the trunk to pull tools out. Been working, though yesterday they got the power back on and I didn't the afternoon putting more tarps on the roof of the house to try stop a couple leaks, and picked up some of the trash in the yard and started to sort the broken parts of the garage.

Nearly got sunstroke doing that, too.

Phil

• 6 months later...

After a long hiatus living in rented accommodation miles away, one end of the house is now completely (mostly) rebuilt and operational. 

So, I've had a little time to do a few things.

20220418_140524.jpg.d82663bd4ae499bd2e4f3f7f6b7e48ca.jpg

Knocked the worst of that dent out. Still needs a little work but it's better.

20220421_200416.jpg.214dde1334211ca6770d1d74f4bfc140.jpg

Thursday though. Back into tradition now the place is open again, chocolate malt at the drive-in.

Phil

Edited by PhilAndrews (see edit history)
  • Like 5

20220416_161359.jpg.a35457e000bbbf9c021a3a30998ca89b.jpgLast week was tune-up time. The car had been sitting up for six months, in which time I had run it for a few minutes over three separate occasions.

The car really doesn't like that at all. 

Pressed back into service, the condenser gave out, the coil shorted and one set of points was intermittent.

Then the screws fell out of the bottom of the carburetor making it loose and terrible mixture; and the fuel pump started leaking.

Replaced the screws (inadequate torque when I reassembled it, I guess but they were done to Carter specs) and tightened up the fuel pump where the new cork gasket had settled and shrunk slightly.

Cleaned and gapped the points, new condenser and coil and we're back on the road again.

20220409_195348.jpg.8906d53052958939ad43b05b3674d289.jpg

Phil

Car was pinging slightly under heavy throttle at low RPM because the weather's been warmer this week.

20220426_170130_1.gif.3b70895d68e0d90a02d6327344e6ee15.gif

I checked the vacuum advance was working, broke out the strobe light and set the timing back a couple degrees. 

20220426_193913.jpg.b37d379f52f9d33ad379e31d75bfe82f.jpg

Cleaned out the screen wash jar because the blue fluid I bought had gone gooey and moldy yuk inside. Even the unopened bottle had gone bad. Weird. Fresh, slightly more expensive fluid installed, looking like orange soda.

Fixed the low note horn (contacts had corroded) and put in a new magic tree.

Need to tweak the headlight aim slightly. Lubricated the throttle linkage and now it's running really nicely. 

Phil

• Like 1

My air cleaner is different from yours.Mine is a round cleaner that sits directly over the carburetor,typical of what you see on most cars.I'll be looking closely at your under hood photos when I go back together because I neglected to take enough photos of EVERYTHING when I tore the car apart.A lesson learned and I guarantee it won't happen on my next one!

becs 056.jpg

becs 058.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Andy J said:

My air cleaner is different from yours.Mine is a round cleaner that sits directly over the carburetor,typical of what you see on most cars.I'll be looking closely at your under hood photos when I go back together because I neglected to take enough photos of EVERYTHING when I tore the car apart.A lesson learned and I guarantee it won't happen on my next one!

Mine had the type you have originally, but one of the previous owners removed it and it never made it to me with the car. I bought that one because it was used on Packards (and I believe was an option on the Chieftain). It really quietens the intake noise down a lot.

If you need any information or photos let me know. There's a couple pipes and wires on mine routed differently from stock, but overall it's pretty much as it should be.

I am also jealous of your car's body. Really I need to pull mine off and get it on a rotisserie. The tin worms have been busy.

Phil

Edited by PhilAndrews (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

I neglected to take enough photos of EVERYTHING when I tore the car apart.

I never came close to a total restore but without hundreds of pics and the time in between, well let's just say the memory ain't what it used to be! I'm hardly a wealth of knowledge but if you need more pics just give a shout out. 

Good to hear from ya Phil! I love those washer reservoirs and picked one up on ebay a while back. My fluid is green to match the engine but yours is like orange sodey pop from the 50's!

• Like 4

On 4/27/2022 at 9:56 AM, Summershandy said:

I never came close to a total restore but without hundreds of pics and the time in between, well let's just say the memory ain't what it used to be! I'm hardly a wealth of knowledge but if you need more pics just give a shout out. 

Good to hear from ya Phil! I love those washer reservoirs and picked one up on ebay a while back. My fluid is green to match the engine but yours is like orange sodey pop from the 50's!

20220428_140249.jpg.162e43d9bb99ae9206b415cc897836b1.jpg

I prefer orange cream soda, personally! 

(Seeing the jar of orange gave me a hankering for it).

Phil

Went fuel up last night because I was on empty. My regular gas station closer to the house is closed, smashed by the storm and by the looks of it not to open again.

20220505_195628.jpg.1021146b48ed58949c3b016e477c85c2.jpg

Pumped 87 octane E10, to see how the car would run on it.

Answer? Not well. It needs the idle mix and ignition adjusting, it's lumpy now. Gotta love it.

Bonus, the radio fixed itself! (I think one of the output tubes was making a slightly poor contact).

Phil

18 minutes ago, cevensky said:

Phil, what do you normally put in your tank? I always pump the cheapest, but if you notice a difference I’m willing to pay a premium to notice it too!

glad to see you back on the road. 

This area is coastal so there's a number of places that sell 87 octane ethanol free, that one there included. Reason is, people don't like the ethanol for boats; it attracts water in the tank.

I find I can dial in a bit more ignition advance with ethanol fuel, but in terms of overall driveability it's not as good, particularly when the engine gets hot. It's not a good carburetor fuel, more suited to fuel injection systems.

Phil

• Like 2

Everything looks like it lined up really nice.I'm waiting to get my chrome back from the platers,should be any day now.I finished painting my'51 Chieftain last Friday and I need that chrome to start putting it back together.The chrome will be my biggest expense of the restoration.

• Like 3

A hot and sweaty afternoon gave rise to some troubleshooting.

Engine cold, sat 2 days without running.

Compression test (dry, psi).

Compression test (wet, psi)

120 (+4.3%)

128 (+3.2%)

128 (+34.7%)

115 (+1.7%)

125 (+2.4%)

115 (-0.8%)

123 (+17.1%)

120 (+0.0%)

So, cyl 3 is a touch low... and comes up real nice when oiled down, cyl 7 is a bit marginal and again comes up nicely when oiled.

Result? Yea, the rings are tired. Dry, none of the cylinders leaked down over 5 minutes. All took about 5 compression strokes to come up to peak pressure.

Do I want to do anything about it?