Windshield Frame Needed for 31 Studebaker Commander

slowjim

May be of some help for you to know that the windshield frames for the '31 Presidents model 80 and 90 are the same as your Commander 70 (closed cars). Strangely there seem to be more President survivors than Commanders. I might add that the Sept/Oct 2001 issue of the Antique Studebaker Review has a feature on the '31 model 70, 12 pages with complete specs, production and numerous photos. 

31 comm 4dr factory labeled.jpg

Attaching the last two pages of the article on the '31 Commander I did for the September/October 2001 issue of The Antique Studebaker Review. It shows the many different pieces of literature  Studebaker offered for this model. It includes parts book, service bulletins, sales literature, owner's manual and various promotional literature etc. I have similar literature for all years and models. 

Review 9-10-01 p7 captioned.jpg

Review 9-10-01 p8 captioned.jpg

If it is N/C Industries they have done several for me and did a good job.   I don't think they have your pattern though, unless its a roadster.   But they are your best bet.  I have a couple sedan window frames but not sure of their application.   

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies from everyone.  I spoke with N/C Industries.  They don't have a pattern for my car, but would like to help.

They have patterns for a 31 President Victoria, and a 32 President.  Do you know if either of these will work?  I know that Studeq mentioned that 31 President's would be the same, but does that apply to the Victoria model?

The patterns for the two cars are different numbers, so apparently they are not the same.

• Like 1

The President Victoria windshield frame is the same as the other Commander and President (models 70-80-90) closed cars so as I mentioned in a previous post it should be the same as your model 70. Part number 251158P (this is for the frame and glass). If you wish to pursue the blue print contact the Studebaker National Museum .https://studebakermuseum.org/about/contact/  If calling ask for Andy Beckman. 

Edited by studeq (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for all of the help !!  I wasn't sure if the President Victoria was a special body style, or if it was a trim level.

You have been GREAT help.

I'm also going to reach out to the Museum today..

Sounds like a time for a visit too.  It's been a few years...

Thanks @ Studerex.  I'll get the measurements and send them to you.

I don't have a picture of the original.  Apparently it got misplaced at the first shop that had the car.  (It was a bad experience all the way around.  Good learning experience?)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

20190426_200232.thumb.jpg.62421e267a5f6a84d6cc8eceed41e8f6.jpgI just check mine and the frame measurements are different 

45 1/4 across top

15 1/2 on the ends

12 5/8 in the center

Height is to the top of the hinge 

Now for a question, can anyone tell me what the two screw holes on each side are for, if they the are for weather seal do you know where to get it

Thanks Rick

Edited by rickb (see edit history)

1 hour ago, rickb said:

20190426_200232.thumb.jpg.62421e267a5f6a84d6cc8eceed41e8f6.jpgI just check mine and the frame measurements are different 

45 1/4 across top

15 1/2 on the ends

12 5/8 in the center

Height is to the top of the hinge 

Now for a question, can anyone tell me what the two screw holes on each side are for, if they the are for weather seal do you know where to get it

Thanks Rick

that's where the left & right swing-out hinges attach--Tom

Here are some that I took before I took it apart so I would know how to put it back together

Had to replace wood in roof and under the floor.

Hope to have it back on the road this year, maybe next.

Let me know if you need others

Had to put the last ones in for fun.

Rick

CIMG0005 (2).JPG

CIMG0003.JPG

CIMG0015 (3).JPG

CIMG0009 (2).JPG

CIMG0014 (3).JPG

CIMG0016 (3).JPG

CIMG0018 (3).JPG

CIMG0007 (3).JPG

Stude's First Show.jpg