Asian tire sizes

Rey Barry

When looking at tires from Asia, the size designations have no relation to anything in the US or Europe. Visiting the manufacturer's site, and the US retailers' sites, finds not one word about translating into US/Euro sizes. Nor is an equivalence chart offered. Has anyone found one? 

I  am looking for trailer tires size LT235/85R16 and was told the Kenda equivalent is a KENDA KARRIER HD with an F (12 ply) rating. OK, that's one. But no chart.

This is for a trailer holding our whole house military generator. It never goes anywhere, but substantial sidewall cracking is cause for concern. 

19 hours ago, 1937-44 said:

If the trailer never goes anywhere, why not just put stands under it?

Been considering that. I have a couple of stands rated for 4 times the weight, and a garage hydraulic jack. Soil is the base, so a load-bearing platfrom about 4' x 3' is called for. Could be needed for decades, so steel is the best option. Time to visit scrapyards.

21 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Would you like to show us samples of what you are questioning?

It appears that what I was seeing was Asian tire company unique products codes, not sizes. And I was seeing them on a website that lacked a command to see available sizes, causing the confusion. Along the way I found useful tire  conversion charts like this.

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 12.49.13 PM.png

4 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

You should embed it in concrete in the ground, 'else it will rust and you will be doing it again in 10 years or so.

Wonder if faux concrete bases are enough, like the ones sold to support outdoor AC units. Some may be reinforced. Another possibility is old railroad ties or treated timbers. There's moisture but no rain or snow under there.

Appreciate suggestions.  

Really don't know what kind of weight you are talking about, but for the sake of economy what about old railroad ties or possibly pressure treated blocks? Obviously the bottom pressure treated piece would have to be long to distribute the weight and keep small ones from sinking in.

Exactly. RR tie is a good choice. Once had a farm and used them often.

Checked the jacks. Very heavy steel, each is 3-ton. 

What's the best way to keep utility batteries warm in low temps? These are not easy to take in and out (I'm 81) so I need in situ warmth. Temporarily there's a coil of heat tape underneath but it's not up to the job. 

3 hours ago, Rey Barry said:

It appears that what I was seeing was Asian tire company unique products codes, not sizes. And I was seeing them on a website that lacked a command to see available sizes, causing the confusion. Along the way I found useful tire  conversion charts like this.

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 12.49.13 PM.png

Your first problem is that most of these conversion charts are wrong.  What is the original tire size on this trailer?  Once you know the original section width and outside diameter, THEN you can find a modern tire to match.

10 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Your first problem is that most of these conversion charts are wrong.  What is the original tire size on this trailer?  Once you know the original section width and outside diameter, THEN you can find a modern tire to match.

This is a standard tire. ST (for trailers) 235/85R16. Goodyear Endurance is an affordable price/quality point. 

8 hours ago, Vila said:

What one persons considers Heavy is what another persons considers light and what one person consider large may be what another person considers small.

I have yet to read exactly how large or heavy this generator is.

Gen is 1,360 lbs, trailer is 1,340.

8 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Heat lamp

A trickle charger.

Two battery issues here - a power wheel chair and a MEP 003A military diesel generator. 

First the gen.

Uses two 12v in series. The trickle charger is 24v. solar. As with my cars, the solar charger is a god send. Occasional-use batteries are always fully charged, de-sulfated, and 100% maintenance-free. In 20 degrees the batteries are strong and fully up to the job of starting a diesel. But the polar vortex has split and we are in for colder weather for a month, maybe more, perhaps below zero here in Virginia. For the first time, I'm considering keeping those batteries warm with a pair of silicon pad heaters https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2ZZ3NY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=AWDB5DU3D0WEG&psc=1 plus a thermal on/off switch. Undecided - just a possibility.

Second issue, the mobile chair. Uses two 12v in series, small 35AH batteries like a garden tractor. I have this up for sale and don't want to spend money keeping the batteries warm. I have a back-up 24v solar trickle charger and will probably use that. 

Rey

21 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

EuroTire.png

On 1/17/2019 at 3:09 PM, 1937-44 said:

Really don't know what kind of weight you are talking about, but for the sake of economy what about old railroad ties or possibly pressure treated blocks? Obviously the bottom pressure treated piece would have to be long to distribute the weight and keep small ones from sinking in.

Vertical space rules out rr ties if the jack stands are used. Too much elevation. The jacks are 12" minimum height, and the bottom of the spring shackle they will sit under is 10" above ground. Probably will go with 2 x 6 treated wood 2.5 ' long, two side-by-side to accommodate the 7" x 8" footprint of the jack stands. That will limit the elevation to less than 4" which is easily within the range of the fore and aft expandable legs.

Edited by Rey Barry
correction (see edit history)

• 1 month later...