Hershey update

randjflo60

They are coming.

Despite all the whining, crying, and complaining they are arriving and filling up the fields fast.

I drove through Hershey 3 times today and from Hersheypark Drive everything seems as smooth as silk. At !0:00 am the Red field looked about 75%full, Chocolate about 50% full, and white about 40% full. I went through at noon and everything was still moving along nicely. And at 3:00 pm thre Red field looked about 95% full, Chocolate about 85% full, White about 65% full and blue about 50% full.

There were no traffic jams at all and Hershey Region must be doing a FANTASTIC job of getting all these vendors situated in there new spots.

I still don't know where the enterance for the show cars is for Saturday morning. I hope to find that out tomorrow when I pick up my registration packet.

Seeya tomorrow!

The entrance to the show field will be around the soutwest side of the new arena.

The cars will go south between the new arena and the chocolate field (under the new pedestrian bridge) and the turn right and go past the south end of the arena and then another right into the show field.

It looks like it should make for a nice traffic flow.

Seeya there

Would someone please give me information about the antique car show on Saturday in Hershey?

My husband and son are car enthusiasts although our cars aren't considered antiques, yet.

We'd like to attend the show rain or shine. Is this show open to the public? We'd be going

on Saturday, what time should we arrive to see the show cars. Thanks for any help.

[color:\\"blue\\"]

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Yes, the show is open to the public (For viewing, that is. It's too late to enter a car in the show). Admission is free. If you get there early (maybe 6:30) you can watch the cars drive in. It takes several hours for them all to get in. If you don't get there that early, don't worry. They will be there all day.

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Olds 442, Cars were ment to be driven in the rain, that is why wipes were invented. Besides, you can always dry it after its in the trailer.

Guest John W. Harvey

SalG,

That was the best laugh I have had all day...."Cars were ment to be driven"...."you can always dry it after its in the trailer".

Is that like "Jumbo Shrimp"?

John grin.gif

Don't laugh, some guys don't like getting their cars wet. I won't poke fun because I'm guilty of that myself. Before we leave for a show (national meets only), we take our truck into the shop, put it on the lift and wax the undercarriage. If you've driven through the crap, and then gone through to clean the undercarriage, it is a pain in the butt to clean up the mess (I've done it several times)

LET THE BUSTING BEGIN!!! (I know someone will have a field day with this post)

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

When I finally get done with mine, I have no intentions of driving it in the rain. It's not the water I'm concerned about. It's the mud and crud that gets underneath. It won't just "dry off". Waxing the undercarriage? I doubt I'll go that far, but I can understand it.

Rain...I can understand the pre-war guys not wanting to drive in the rain. Your chassis are exposed pretty much. The guys with the newer unibody cars, well, waaahhhh. I have one, and I refuse to get my bowels in a knot over a little wetness. But then I'm not interested in getting a Senior award either. I have an old Italian car; they rust if you look at them wrong. Still, it's meant to be driven.

Dwight V.

Too lazy to register

1970 Fiat 124

You won't get any laughs from me...my car doesn't see rain, never has, and my pre show routine probably goes beyond most anyone....BUT..it's my car, and how I get enjoyment out of it, is showing it...showing it in the most pristine condition possible....if I had wanted to drive it, I would never have had sunk the money into it...it all comes down to personal choice...I have never belittled someone for driving their car, not driving it, taking it to the race track or leaving it in the garage...PERSONAL CHOICE. I wish more people could stop and think that what brings enjoyment to them, might not be the same for someone else.

REMEMBER:

Stamp Collectors don't Lick their Stamps and put them on the Phone Bill...

This is one of those topics ( cars meant to be driven..) that never goes anywhere but circles smirk.gif

Steping down from the box,

Mike

I suspect that I still have less money "invested" in my old car than many of the "low priced" new cars on the market. And I am sure that I have less than the $30K and up people are paying for their SUVs and luxury cars. By some of the above logic, the implication is that people buying new cars should trailer them everywhere.

To me the better argument is how much personal time you put into the project. That is a lot more valuable than money and may warrant extreme care in preservation after all the work of restoration. From that point of view I can see reducing the car to an object of art and treating it with kid gloves. Keep it out of the rain and trailer it everywhere, etc...

But for me, a lot of the satisfaction I get is seeing that the car runs well. And that means driving it. Does it mean that it will all have to be done again later? Maybe. But when I talk to people who have been in the hobby a while I end up finding a lot of people who have restored the same car multiple times, so I guess I am not alone in this attitude.

Registered but too lazy to log in....

We sort of got OT here, and I apologize for that.

Also owe an apology to those who live to show their cars. I guess I just can't grasp getting enjoyment out of constantly cleaning and primping a car you rarely (if ever) drive. Enjoyment, relaxation and personal reward for working on cars to me involves driving them. It's just difficult for me to understand trailer queen logic.

But, everyone has their own thing. Ultimately, as I walk through the wet aisles today and look at all your cars I will nonetheless be in awe of the work that has gone into them wether you drive them or not.

I keep forgetting we humans have different things that make us, well, different. crazy.gif

Back to the original subject...

Rained like a bastard all day yesterday. Should quit today, thank heavens, for the show. I was actually rather annoyed with the vendors yesterday...don't these people plan for rain? Don't they know this is Hershey? Hardly anyone was open. I understand paper goods vendors staying tightly shut, but car parts? Now I have 2x as much today to try to get in. frown.gif

Guys, buy some tarps! They aren't expensive. tongue.gif

I didn't go to Hershey.I was al set to go but it was raining when I got up. I don't mind driving my car but I don't have an enclosed trailer and using an open trailer would have been a mess. Too much time invested in cleaning/prepping to do that.I'll just have to wait untill next year.

Guest Skyking

Boy! I'm glad I stayed home. Been to many Hershey events walking in the rain & mud. Not too enjoyable. It's very disapointing walking around and not being able to see half the stuff because most is covered with tarps........

Well... Like I said for national meets only. When you've got a lift in the shop and can raise everything to eye level, it's not that hard to do, it looks nice, but it is very time consuming. If we were laying on a creeper doing it I don't think it would be getting done.

For the $2,500 spent for the lift, it is handy, especially when you're doing brake work or taking bodies off and on the frame. We'll unbolt the bodies from the frames, lift them off, roll the frame out and then lower the body down on a crable (rotiseree, whatever you call them).

No you're right. We've got more money tied up in our rig than we do what's inside of it. Despite the rain, the truck was at Hershey this weekend and it got wet. We're not going to drive all those miles to leave it in the trailer, but if it's raining, we're not going to pull it out of the garage and drive it. Yes we have an enclosed trailer, yes we enjoy driving the truck, but when you're out on these overnight shows, the truck is locked up while when we're not around it. If you've got one of those rare cars and walked for three days at Hershey looking for that one part that you can't find, you don't like leaving it outside and having someone steal that one part. Our truck has never been kept outside without someone watching it and it is a trailer queen, but there are some exterior trim pieces on that truck that need replacement but haven't been because they haven't been found (hood hinges, hood ornament, grill badge, etc.). You can't pick up the phone and order stuff for Plymouth pickups like you can with a Model 'A' or a '57 Chevy and to have some warped individual to decide to acquire a "souvenier" off from it, could mean losing something that can't be replaced. Now that the truck has earned its senior, it'll be pampered until we can get our Grand National and then after that, we'll be a little more liberal with it, but anything farther than commuting distance that truck will be trailered.

I'm not against drivers or against trailer queens, but you've got to look at what the car is and it's rarity. I'd still be willing to bet that you'll find very few Auburns, Chords, Packards or Duesenburgs that are daily driven and that very few people who are against trailering have cars that rare. Something as small as a radiator cap can often be irreplacable or expensive if it is stolen.

Well put ex98. I bet the couple of people that get their vehicles stolen each year a few miles up the road at the Carlisle swap meets and shows wish they would of had a trailer. I think a rare Corvette was one of them this year. There are some who traval to these big shows that wait for the right time to make there living by stealing, not often, but it happens. If you read most antique insurance policys it states that the vehicle also must be locked up for coverage. It seems that most of the people that complain don't own a trailer, travel to shows 500 miles away or care to have a vehicle judged let alone want the upkeep to keep it in that condition. The biggest advange with a trailer is the piece of mine and also the time saved from not having to spend hours cleaning the undercarriage. There is plenty of room in this great hobby for all!

Rain 2-3 inches Thursday noon thru Friday midnight - Blue and White fileds were a mud pit again - and new black top had its share of "lakes" to contend with!

Not sure on your pre-15 question - Several rows of the oldies drew big crowds - Saturday was overcast but dry at least for the show!

Regarding driving older vehicles: I have a friend with a '31 Caddy v-12 who drives several thousand miles per year including from Baltimore to Nova Scotia and back. Also another friend with a '21 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost who logs several thousand miles a year. Look closer and you'll find quite a few folks who drive their cars. The CCCA has several driving tours a year, as does the AACA and The RROC. It can be a challenge maintaining these drivers but it certainly is good to know they get used.

I'll join the fray. I drive 'em, almost every day. I too enjoy the perfect cars however I could never afford one. If I could, I suppose I'd try to keep it perfect. Nevertheless, I do have one pretty darn good car (68 Roadrunner) and I enjoy the heck out of driving it literally anywhere. I do park in left field if I'm confronted with a shopping center however.

Anyone notice that by 2:00 pm Saturday, shoppers were parking among the car corral folks like the corral wasn't even there. I gotta believe that had to be a bit unnerving for some of the owners. Soccer vans careening all over, in and out of spaces, just like any shopping mall. I think I'd want a partial refund for that day anyway, especially in as much as it is a main venue due to the flea market breaking up that day and the show winding down.