HEATER COIL LEAKS

Doug Novak

In my "68 AMX the heater coil behind the Dash has a leak and I'm wondering if it is possible to prevent this with out removing it from the car. The process of replacing it would require removing the Dash Board near the Glove Box, which I believe could damage the dash creating an even worse situation. I'm thinking there might be a solution with less cause for concern. Although not as efficient as a working original heater coil, would it be possible to by pass the coil somehow, or run a smaller diameter tube or hose through the existing copper coil of the heater? Has anyone found a solution for fixing the heater box that leaks with out tearing the dash apart? I no longer open the heater valve on the block to the heater and I disconnected the Dash Controls to the valve. Fortunately I have no damage, or stains from the leak, I caught it immediately when it occurred and have lived with out heat for a couple years now.

I doubt you will find an easy out for a leaking heater core.

As for damage during replacement. If you have the proper service manual the replacement will still be a bitch but at least you will have the proper procedure.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Doug you won't be able to "snake" a smaller diameter tube thru the coil. You might try what has been suggested with some sort of stop leak, but don't get your hope's up. When they build cars they don't take into consideration the repairs. My son had a 2000 VW Jetta that needed a heater core and the ENTIRE dashboard had to come out.

Yep, you all are confirming what I thought. The leak appears to be massive and unfix able. I would not attempt to remove the dash, saw it done on YouTube and it's a mess to do, plus this old body can't bend like a pretzel to get in down there. I seldom if ever need to have a heater in the car but wouldn't mind having heat available if needed.

OT....I have a "74 Porsche 914 that like VW Beetles draws heat off the exhaust pipes using heat exchange shields to direct the heat off the exterior of the pipes up to a fan under the dash and front trunk area then vented to the cab.  So simple.

Thanks all for the comments, thought it was worth a shot......sigh!

Doug

Its a lot easier to do that kind of work if you take the front seats out.

I did one on a 65 Chrysler with AC not to long ago. Wasn't very fun but I took lots of pics and didn't draw it out into a long term project.

I took out the seats front and back, console and all the carpets. Then I could stretch out instead of being all cramped up on the front floor.

Have had heater core leaking for several years on 2000 Saturn wagon...

Fortunately minor enough only leaked about 2 gal a year when started to leak (1 gal AF+1gal water mixture) so just lived with it. As time passed impurities in water/coolant are gradually stopping leak with no noticeable effect on cooling...keeping my fingers crossed core won't go BLOOEY before begins to overheat or rest of car goes...

Thought about stop leak but wasn't sure how well (or badly) it might work with no radiator cap (fill thru overflow tank)...