Old brass oil line fittings.

CTCV

A short time ago I was looking at some posts on this forum regarding oil fittings. Some folks mention a type of fitting that is hard to find. I needed the fittings that connect the oil feed line for the rocker arm assembly in my 1932 Buick 90 344cid. A friend with an old garage had these. It is what I needed so it may be what others need also. Let me know if you do.

20181221_102425.jpg

Fastenal shows the  3/16" size ("Threaded tube sleeve nut")on their website and catalog. I ordered a pack of 10 and they have been back ordered for 2 weeks so it is not looking good.

I checked with an older local NAPA store and they just had 3 left. Just enough to do my 1925.

• Like 2

I successfully ordered 5/16" "Threaded Sleeve" nuts like these from Blackhawk Supply a little over a year ago. Not many suppliers have these or even know what they are.

The female half (left side in the pic above), whatever it is called, was out of stock in 5/16" at the time I ordered. I did not gather there would be any problem getting them, I would just have to wait for them to come from the supplier. I then ordered only sleeve nuts because I needed them right away.

The manufacturer is Midland Metals.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

OK good to know guys. Maybe these are not the ones sought after that I read about in the forum. Maybe there were 90 degree elbows in the same style. 

My friend has no need for them so maybe I'll just get them in the event they get scarce. 

Right angle fittings are still made too, but only in the smaller sizes. They also don't look like the old ones, which were very streamlined. The new ones are square-ish blocks similar to a modern double flare 90 degree fitting. Right angle 5/16" is not available anywhere AFAIK. I bought some random carburetor on ebay that had one, just to get the fitting.

A real prewar 90 degree threaded sleeve fitting looks like this:

45RJoGk.jpg

• Like 1

Yep- I'm looking for 2 sets of the parts in the first picture and 2 elbows and nuts from the last picture.  The male ends of the elbow and straight adapter are 1/8 pipe and the nuts are all for 1/4" tube.  this would give me enough parts to correctly replace and plumb the original oil filter setup on the right lower cylinder block and oil filter and wiper vacuum source at the intake manifold of my 31 Buick 8-66S project..  How can I get these?

Thanks in advance...

Dave

1/4" Double compression "Threaded Sleeve" nuts are here (male, both ends)

https://blackhawksupply.com/products/midland-16003-1-4-7-16-24-threaded-sleeve-nut-brass-fittings-double-compression-nut

1/4" Double compression to1/8"pipe (female, straight through):

https://blackhawksupply.com/products/midland-16121-1-4-x-1-8-threaded-sleeve-x-mip-brass-fittings-double-compression-male-adapter

:

1/4" Double compression to1/8"pipe (female, right angle):

https://blackhawksupply.com/products/midland-16130-1-4-x-1-8-thrd-sleeve-x-mip-elb-brass-fittings-double-compression-90-degree-elbow

The right angle female fittings are expensive and do not have the right appearance. You might have to comb ebay or swap meets for those. The sleeve nuts (male) become part of the tubing when used. You will need brand new sleeve nuts.

• Like 1

After 2 weeks on back order my 3/16" threaded tube sleeve nuts finally came in at my local Fastenal.  $7.92 for a package of 10 Not bad except they charged $9.49 for S/H! So $18.46 including PA state tax. 

It may be better to see what their supplier charges with shipping. EATON 106-10003 Tube Nut  P/N 6100X3

CCTV- I'm still in need of 2 of these 90 degree elbows, 1/8" male pipe on the one side, 1/4 line double compression  (edited, previously described incorrectly as double flare) on the female side...  If you can get 2 of these please let me know how much and how you want to be paid.  Rest of the parts I found at Blackhawk. 

Thanks. 

Dave

Inked45RJoGk[1]_LI.jpg

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
Correct text from double flare to double compression (see edit history)

I tried to get these to replace a damaged nut on the head. Champion have them on their website here in Australia called 'dole pattern' nuts. I tried to buy them buy Champion only deal wholesale and retailers said they could only order them in large quantities so I gave up. I did find some in the states but the shipping cost was 10 times higher then the nut itself so i just used a modern fitting

http://championpartsonline.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=68_136&product_id=17972

On 12/27/2018 at 4:59 PM, Str8-8-Dave said:

I'm still in need of 2 of these 90 degree elbows, 1/8" male pipe on the one side, 1/4 line double flare on the female side..

Just one little nit to pick, don't ask for double flare, or you might get double flare.

I am still at this point unsure what the standard name is, or if there is one (double compression maybe?). Double flare is a different fitting and will not work with the fittings in this thread.

On 12/23/2018 at 8:49 AM, Bloo said:

1/4" Double compression "Threaded Sleeve" nuts are here (male, both ends)

https://blackhawksupply.com/products/midland-16003-1-4-7-16-24-threaded-sleeve-nut-brass-fittings-double-compression-nut

1/4" Double compression to1/8"pipe (female, straight through):

https://blackhawksupply.com/products/midland-16121-1-4-x-1-8-threaded-sleeve-x-mip-brass-fittings-double-compression-male-adapter

:

1/4" Double compression to1/8"pipe (female, right angle):

https://blackhawksupply.com/products/midland-16130-1-4-x-1-8-thrd-sleeve-x-mip-elb-brass-fittings-double-compression-90-degree-elbow

The right angle female fittings are expensive and do not have the right appearance. You might have to comb ebay or swap meets for those. The sleeve nuts (male) become part of the tubing when used. You will need brand new sleeve nuts.

When you say the sleeve nut becomes part of the tubing is that by simply tightening the nut causing the tube to compress and expand or is there a tool required to make it do that?

• Like 1

Using virgin parts, I.E. brass tubing, nut and adapter, the nut can be started in the adapter but not tightened, then the tubing is inserted all the way thru the nut so the end of the tubing protrudes thru the nut and is bottomed in the adapter, then the nut is tightened.  As the nut is tightened the conical end of the nut is collapsed by the corresponding conical shape of the adapter.  This causes the leading edge of the nut to seat onto and grip the tubing.  It causes the tubing to collapse locally after which the nut won't come off the end of the tube when disassembled from the adapter fitting.  No special tools required, just a wrench to tighten the nut and a little experience with how tight is tight enough to seat the tip of the nut and secure it to the tube.  These fittings would not be the best choice if using steel tubing as the steel tubing is too hard to let the nut collapse the tubing and seat on it.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, 1940Super said:

When you say the sleeve nut becomes part of the tubing is that by simply tightening the nut causing the tube to compress and expand or is there a tool required to make it do that?

Yes. Str8-8-Dave pretty much nailed it. It bites in when you tighten it, no tool required. The fittings will work with steel tubing (bundyflex) even though the current fitting manufacturer does not recommend it, but it takes a lot of pressure to make the flare bite into the tubing.

Once the sleeve nut has bit, it stays with the piece of tubing no matter how many times you disconnect it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2019 at 1:12 AM, Str8-8-Dave said:

Using virgin parts, I.E. brass tubing, nut and adapter, the nut can be started in the adapter but not tightened, then the tubing is inserted all the way thru the nut so the end of the tubing protrudes thru the nut and is bottomed in the adapter, then the nut is tightened.  As the nut is tightened the conical end of the nut is collapsed by the corresponding conical shape of the adapter.  This causes the leading edge of the nut to seat onto and grip the tubing.  It causes the tubing to collapse locally after which the nut won't come off the end of the tube when disassembled from the adapter fitting.  No special tools required, just a wrench to tighten the nut and a little experience with how tight is tight enough to seat the tip of the nut and secure it to the tube.  These fittings would not be the best choice if using steel tubing as the steel tubing is too hard to let the nut collapse the tubing and seat on it.

On 1/2/2019 at 6:40 AM, Bloo said:

Yes. Str8-8-Dave pretty much nailed it. It bites in when you tighten it, no tool required. The fittings will work with steel tubing (bundyflex) even though the current fitting manufacturer does not recommend it, but it takes a lot of pressure to make the flare bite into the tubing.

Once the sleeve nut has bit, it stays with the piece of tubing no matter how many times you disconnect it.

A few of the nut on my oil lines are stripped pretty bad and cant get tight enough to stop leaking. I'm thinking of cutting the old nut of the original steel lines and replacing the nuts. Do you think I can get away with the new nuts seating correctly in the old elbows and the adapter in the back of the temperature gauge? All the straight through adapters I will replace

You would need to cut the old sleeve nut off (split it somehow) to replace it while losing a minimum amount of tubing. In THEORY you would then need to cut just a little tubing off to give the new sleeve nut a full-diameter spot to dig into. It wouldn't take much. Maybe 1/4' or probably even less depending on tubing size.

I seem to remember once getting away without cutting any tubing off on some project years ago, and getting away with it, letting the new nut compress into the old groove. I am not recommending that if there's another easy option. It might work in a pinch. On the other hand, the tubing might be collapsed too much.

No problem using old fittings (female) if the threads are good. I would prefer it. The sleeve nuts you pretty much have to destroy to remove without mangling the tubing. You should be able to disconnect and reconnect lines as much as you want, the sleeve nuts just stay with the tubing.

Did you say temperature gauge? I have mainly seen these on vacuum lines and fuel lines. Maybe an oil pressure gauge.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bloo said:

You would need to cut the old sleeve nut off (split it somehow) to replace it while losing a minimum amount of tubing. In THEORY you would then need to cut just a little tubing off to give the new sleeve nut a full-diameter spot to dig into. It wouldn't take much. Maybe 1/4' or probably even less depending on tubing size.

I seem to remember once getting away without cutting any tubing off on some project years ago, and getting away with it, letting the new nut compress into the old groove. I am not recommending that if there's another easy option. It might work in a pinch. On the other hand, the tubing might be collapsed too much.

No problem using old fittings (female) if the threads are good. I would prefer it. The sleeve nuts you pretty much have to destroy to remove without mangling the tubing. You should be able to disconnect and reconnect lines as much as you want, the sleeve nuts just stay with the tubing.

Did you say temperature gauge? I have mainly seen these on vacuum lines and fuel lines. Maybe an oil pressure gauge.

I was thinking off cutting straight through the compressed part of the nut and tube then sliding the rest of the nut off. I'm guessing it will only be about 3/16" off the pipe.

My mind is elsewhere, I meant to say oil gauge. My fuel line has double flare fittings. Vac and oil are double compression. If Midland metal made there double compression elbows look the same as their inverted flare elbows then they'd look the same as my originals

• Like 1