Rhd 1940 Buick

25 Buick

Hi am interested in a car to save from scrap. Is a 1940 Buick rhd believe to have the spare wheels in the front guards/fenders.

fully stripped and now very rotten everything , weather has got to the parts over at least 20+years.

im a sucker for huge projects but is this a desirable car? Is there any tell tales parts I could look for to give me an idea on what model it is ?

the motor looks like it's been in the ocean... 

i will try to get it and if successful do an inventory of parts at least then if it's not worthwhile to restore some parts can be used between other Buick owners.

chasing some other opinions

thanks brendan 

I would say, it kind of depends what your goal is. If you just want to harvest some parts, sure forge ahead. If you would like to restore this car, there are a few things to be aware of. First of all determine if it is  Special, or Century (all had running boards so you can tell from a distance), or if it is a Super, Roadmaster (no running boards). Either way some of the parts are getting difficult to find for these cars and if you do find the parts the sellers will treat them like gold. If the car is a sedan,  they have a limit to their value as a driver (hope this doesn't hurt anyone's feelings). I know from experience that you can pour a ton of money in these cars and not be able to get your money out. I would recommend that you be a little cautious and do some homework. But I could be wrong, about the market in Australia. 

Best of Luck,

10 hours ago, 25 Buick said:

Hi am interested in a car to save from scrap. Is a 1940 Buick rhd believe to have the spare wheels in the front guards/fenders.

Fully stripped and now very rotten everything , weather has got to the parts over at least 20+years.

I'm a sucker for huge projects but is this a desirable car? Is there any tell tales parts I could look for to give me an idea on what model it is ?

The motor looks like it's been in the ocean... 

I will try to get it and if successful do an inventory of parts at least then if it's not worthwhile to restore some parts can be used between other Buick owners.

Photo's are worth a 1000 words

Being in QLD, Australia its probably a series 40 special.  Norm Darwin's Au Buick history lists 475 series 40 Specials & 68 series 60 Centurys for 1940.  None of the larger 80 & 90 series. But there were imports.

The engine is common for about1938 ~ 1947.  Exhaust manifold if unbroken has value. Diff & transmission was used 1940 to ~1952?.  Hi speed diff's, if it has that, has is sought after. Side mount fenders/guards are popular with some people. The side mount hardware is hard to get, so some value.

If you have the time, transport & space worth saving even if to pass on to some else for the cost of gas/petrol.

Not a particularity desirable car.  If it was a Ford or Chev that would be different

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Thank you for the input. I would have to go digging just to find any parts in the pile. My thoughts have been confirmed big project for the time/money. I will try to get the car to salvage parts for myself and others. Will post how I get on.

thanks 39buick I will look for running boards. Thought it may have been a larger series due to the spare wheels in the guards? 

The Century, Special and huge series 80 and 90 Limited's would have fifth and sixth wheels.  Parts that are valuable include exhaust manifold on 320 cu in engine, vent windows, window cranks and escutchions, all stainless trim, grill halves, wheels, jack to name some off the top of my head.

5 hours ago, 25 Buick said:

I will look for running boards. Thought it may have been a larger series due to the spare wheels in the guards?

Side mounts were an option on 40 60 & 80 series.  May have been standard on 90 series Limited (not sure)