Best improvement for stop/tail lights

stvaughn

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

Can you duplicate that tail light on the other side?

If the rear apron has room, some with a car like the OP's find a second tail light and stanchion. Cut, turn, and weld the stanchion to fit out from the right side and splice in wiring to it.

BTW, Rhode Island Wire Service can make up original copies of wiring harnesses that incorporate wiring inside the harnesses that uses the original front parking and tail lights as turn signals and four-way emergency flashers, so that the car looks original for anyone not wanting to add on lights that don't look period correct.

If adding a second tail light, they only need the length to make it look like part of the original harness. I've done that for many of my customer's 1930-31 cars that were being rewired.

Paul  

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

I would love to duplicate the light on the right side. I’ll do a wanted post to see if anything pops up. Wiring is not an issue. I’m rewiring the car now and have already made provisions for right side lights. Just have to decide what to put there. 

Steve

You do need the right hand taillight.  I have seen a couple of LED bars about two feet long mounted on the edge of the trunk carrier.  One of them was wired as a tail light and when the flashers were on the appropriate half flashed.  I could not wait to talk to the owner so have no ides where he got it.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

You can add an LED bar fairly cheaply. I got mine from http://jandlenterprise.com/products/brakelighter.htm

Thanks Spinneyhill, I like that better than some of the other options I’ve been considering. Is it weatherproof? I’m thinking of mounting two along the bottom of the trunk rack. Maybe making the two inner half’s running lights and the outer half’s brake and turn lights. Would that be practical?

FYI- they make led lights that appear dark charcoal or black, and turn red when lit up.......keeps them kind of hidden. I have resisted putting anything on the back of my cars due to appearance issues, but the ones that go from black to red are much less offensive to the eye than the old lights available in the past. Also, LED uses almost no power compared to any other choices.

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

FYI- they make led lights that appear dark charcoal or black, and turn red when lit up.......keeps them kind of hidden. I have resisted putting anything on the back of my cars due to appearance issues, but the ones that go from black to red are much less offensive to the eye than the old lights available in the past. Also, LED uses almost no power compared to any other choices.

Thanks Ed, do you have a source?

When I was a kid in the AACA, my dad always worried about fast-moving modern cars failing to see our antique cars when we drove home after an event after dark. He added two period-correct accessory stop lights, and then found some rectangular reflectors (OEM VW, if I recall correctly?) , which fit in between the parallel rear chrome bumper strips on our 23 Hupmobile. Having followed our car in another vehicle a few times and night, I can attest that those reflectors were really quite effective. 

Sorry, I don’t have a source. I can’t remember where I saw a display of them, possibly a truck stop or the like. It would be great to get six colts instead of twelve. Some people use the twelve volts with small rechargeable lithium batteries.....very discrete. Most of the custom LED stuff I see is coming from England........not sure if they make it or just market it better.