63 Grill restoration/project Riv

Fitzo1969

Well my 63 Riv project is getting underway. One of many questions: are there any recommended vendors that do a correct restoration on the grill and headlight bezels? Is the grill mostly chrome plated then sprayed gray to leave the front edge chrome revealed. 

My Riviera is a 1963, 66,000 mile, Silver on Silver, 401 Dynaflow, 323 posi, turbine wheel covers, but no air. I purchased the car out of FLA last winter, but the car originated in WI. Long-long history of storage.

Went in storage in 1971 and came out in 2015/2016. Owner belonged to the ROA. My plans are a complete resto of the car. This is going to include a complete change of suspension design and modern drivetrain. I will/do have a lot of parts coming off the car to sell. The engine/tranny/drive train ran great, it would be nice to see the complete drivetrain go to one party in need of it. I will have 5 wheels and new tires, and I think I have 7-8 turbine wheel covers in varying stages on condition. The entire heater control system will go, everything under the hood.

Any thoughts on the grill resoration?

• Like 1

I restored mine.  Many hours put into these small detailed parts.  Clean, sand, polish than tape off and paint, i clear coated (satin or matte finish as this wasn't gloss) as well for added protection.  If you need re-chrome then do this first.

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

Before doing drive train transplant, think about keeping the original one intact.  I have a friend who bought a 63 that was missing the engine.  He bought it to keep it from going to the crusher.  He's putting an LS6 in his.  In order to get the oil pan in with the stock crossmember, he shelled out over a $grand for the Corvette's dry sump system.  Lots to consider, its not a simple R&R.

With only 66,000 miles on that engine, there's still lots of life in it.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Eh…thx…but not too worried about a new grill. I have bigger dents on my quarters & fenders to worry about haha

But original post asked the question about grill restoration. My question is fitting. Can dents/bends/gouges/scratches in these pot metal grills be fixed?

Here is what I would like to have straighten. I thought about adding some heat & bending it back? 🤷🏻‍♂️

AAC19DA3-CD5E-4AA8-8CBA-DECC057C43D2.thumb.jpeg.d582db33c917cfe4fcd290943ebe9eb7.jpeg

A person that restores pot metal for a living could probably restore your grill for a price of ten times what

a used  nice one costs. The odds of fixing it yourself with no experience working pot metal and getting a good result

would be the same as winning the powerball lotto.

What do you have to lose ??  I say go for it .... very very slowly and with a game plan before you start the heat and bend process ... figure out what kind of tools or method you need or could use and get an extra set of hands to help hold things in place ! Worst case scenario,, it breaks , best case , you won the “ I can bend pot metal Riviera grills into shape lotto “ 

Post pics !!