' 6 3 Riv license plate attachment - dumb question

Bdad

No question is dumb, except the one not asked.

You don't know what you don't know until you find out you don't know it! :-)

Something similar to this?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/dorman-3390/accessories-16449/accessories---exterior-16767/license-plates---frames-16598/license-plate---brackets---fasteners-17602/6f4141dec31c/dorman-license-plate-fastener/459630bp/4267932?pos=11

459630_wdp.jpg.41ac8f03e97bdacea0f0ba0665cf4a05.jpg

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bdad said:

My '63 just got delivered. The seller kept the plates (I had to replace with my state). I need to know what to use to attach the license plates. No bolts on them to use. Appreciate guidance.

The fasteners pictured above will work for the rear. One thing I found helpful on those screws on the rear is to grind the point off so that it does not protrude beyond the plastic fastener. This will save you many scrapes on your hands and wrist when fueling.

The front plates are held on differently. Mine were missing there when I got my car. I have no idea what the original method was and I'm sure there are others as well besides the method I devised. I am not sure what these fasteners are called but, they work well in this application with a license plate screw. They are 3/4" in length. 

Bill

IMG_4807.JPG

IMG_4806.JPG

IMG_4808.JPG

2 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Thanks Ed. 

So U or J nuts. Hardware store or auto parts store? I couldn't get anything to work on the front plate area...couldn't get my fingers behind to hold a nut so these would make sense.

19 minutes ago, Bdad said:

So U or J nuts. Hardware store or auto parts store? I couldn't get anything to work on the front plate area...couldn't get my fingers behind to hold a nut so these would make sense.

Probably either one.  I Googled them then clicked on the "Shopping" link and got hits for Lowe's and Advance Auto. 

I'm in the car repair business and a pet peeve of mine is German cars. Whatever the most dumb, complicated way to accomplish something, that is what they do when designing any German car. I generally refuse to work on them, but a lady dropped by one time and had just moved to Texas and wanted me to change out her license plates on her Volkswagen Jetta. I figured that even the Germans couldn't make this a nightmare so I agreed to help her out.

5 hours later I had the rear license plate changed out! The idiots at Volkswagen attached the rear license plate to the decklid with fine thread bolts

screwed into a rivet in the deck lid that had a fine thread hole in the middle of it. Of course the bolts had rusted and seized, and if I got rough with

the thing I would have been buying her a new deck lid, so after five hours of cursing and penetrating oil applications, I got the bolts out and changed the plate. I now relate this story whenever someone asks me why I don't work on German cars. Another time a lady begged me to change out the dome light fuse on her Mercedes because she had blown the fuse plugging something into her cigarette lighter. The owners manual claimed that the car had three fuse boxes but did not state where they were located. For 30 minutes I looked under the hood, under the dash, behind the kick panels , in the trunk, in the doors, in the console, etc. I never did find any of the three fuse boxes and finally sent her to the dealer to get her fuse changed out.The longest that I ever spent looking for the fuse box on an American or Asian car is about twenty seconds.

Really?? I just sorted thru the auto climate control on this Benz and had fun with it. I find them very finely engineered, and sometimes challenging, but there always seems to be a legit purpose.

Somewhere in Germany there is a guy cussing up a storm trying to find the fuse box on a first gen Riv!

Tom

20180915_163838.jpg

20180915_163947.jpg

20180915_164159.jpg