Gears Grinding

herbertg

Hello,

.  I hope someone else has run into this issue. I have a Model A that refuses to shift into gear. The car starts and runs great. However, when I try to put it in gear it won't go. The gears grind. When the car is not running, I can shift into all gears so I know the transmission is not froze. The car has sat for the past two months. Today I tried to move it when this issue popped up. Any advice would be appreciated. 

That used to happen to my "A" after every winter. Push the clutch in, start it up with your foot on the brake and quickly and firmly pull the shifter into low gear. When it does engage it should break the disc loose. The car may lurch forward a little so make sure the brake is on. Maybe not the best way but it always worked for me.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Get it out in the open ,Start in low or reverse, hold the clutch in, hit the throttle let off brake and repeat. Get it rocking-gas, brake, gas, etc..It will come loose. Then for the future when you store the car for a long period, prop a stick of wood from the depressed clutch pedal to under the gas tank so the clutch is disengaged during storage. No more stuck clutches........

Ok, here is a way that doesn’t risk any damage. Start the car and let it run for ONE HOUR. The slow heat transfer from the engine to the transmission will expand the disk and brake if free. If it doesn’t release after an hour, shut the car off, point it in a safe direction, and start it while in gear, and drive around in first with the clutch down, jumping on and off the throttle, it will brake free then.